You deserve the World

Once again, Steve sat beside Roger Vossen. Roger was looking at him with glossy eyes as he rambled on.
   "...And when we were little, we used to run around our street, playing war with finger guns. That was the happiest I ever saw her."
 Roger trailed off once again, his head falling down to his pillow again.
  Steve was about to say something when he spoke up again.
"She used to put me to bed and read to me, the days when our mothers were working late to earn us more money. Whenever she did, she always told me one thing: The world doesn't deserve you. Hold that high above your head and hang it with pride. You deserve the world.
  Of course, I never believed her, but it did raise my self-esteem a few notches. I held that with me when she left...It was there with me until today...She deserved the world."
  Steve watched with pity as Roger fell into a deep sleep. He couldn't help but wonder if Peggy was like this.
   He sighed as he stood up. He fixed his jacket as he left, coming up with the perfect things to say to Kali. He knew Roger Vossens' time was coming to an end, and he wanted to have Kali see him once before he died. 
  He got into his car and drove off towards Manhattan.

                          *****

Kali was now awake and running around the room. She was hitting the doors and trying to find a way out. 
   Bucky was standing on the other side of the room. He felt sad watching her. 
Steve better get here soon.
  As if on cue, Steve came it the viewing room.
"Out of all the rooms, they put her in the interrogation room?"
 Bucky shrugged in response.
   "Roger told me a few things before he fell asleep on me."
"What were they?"
  "That they used to play war with finger gun when they were little, Kali used to put him to bed, They sang songs from rooftops, and Kali used to tell him something."
  "What's the something?"
"The world doesn't deserve you.Hold that high above your head and hang it with pride. You deserve the world."
  Bucky blinked and looked back to Kali. She was now sitting on the table. She was staring at the one-sided mirror, and Bucky felt as if she could see through it.
   "That's deep," Bucky said.
Steve nodded. 
  "You should tell her that, through the microphone here. You deserve to do it." Steve said, pointing at the microphone. Once again, he left Bucky alone with Kali.

  Bucky took a breath before speaking into the microphone.
"Kali, this is Bucky."
  He got no reaction.
"I have some things to tell you, things that could help you become you again."
This got a twitch of the arm.
   "You had two mothers named Rose and Clarissa, and you have a younger brother named Roger. Your last name is Vossen and you were born in the forties."
 Bucky paused and watched Kali. Nothing happened.
  "When you were younger, you and your brother used to play war around your streets."
A twitch of an eyebrow.
 "You also sang on rooftops sometimes."
Another twitch.
  Bucky decided to try something different.
He left the microphone and went for the door on the right.  He opened the door and walked in, closing it behind him. 
  Kali stood up from the table but made no move at him.
Bucky took a breath before he said something he hoped would work.
  "The world doesn't deserve you.Hold that high above your head and hang it with pride. You deserve the world."  
Slowly, Bucky extended his hand, his fingers curled in slightly. The back of his fingers faced Kali as he watched her eyes flicker between his eyes and his hand.
   Ever so slowly, Kali extended her own hand, copying the position.
With a surprising gentleness, their fingers touched, and Bucky could hear her breath hitch.

     She watched as two friends walked out of an alleyway. One was beaten while the other was crisp and clean.
  She watched the scene before hand with interest. How could someone like that have a friend so tall? 
  "Kali? What're you doing?"
"Watching."
"Watching what?"
    "Well, it used to be a fight, but now it's two friends walking away."
"Why are you watching it?"
"Because it's interesting, Rog. A reluctantly leaving friend sticking up for his reluctantly staying friend. It's interesting." 
  "Sounds stupid."
"You sound stupid."
  "No, you do."

     "You should join it, Kali. I heard that those two men you watched are there. Plus, Peggy Carter's in the army, she's a woman."
  "I don't know why they allowed her to do what she does, though. The only way I am getting in would be a nurse.  I don't want to do that anymore."
  "Could you just try? Maybe you'll get to meet those two men and they could give you advice."
"I don't listen to advice, Roger. You of all people should know that."
 "But you need advice, please? Just try."
 She sighed as she looked down at her brothers' green eyes.
 "Fine."
She watched as he cheered and jumped around. She pushed Kali out of their door and pointed down the road. 
   "There's an office down there, go!"

             She was running. She didn't know where, but she was running. She passed the two men she wanted to meet, but her feet wouldn't stop. So she ran.  She ran until she was met with a forest and no understanding of her surroundings.
  "Are you lost?"
A man with an accent approached her out of the shadows. 
 "No."
"You look lost."
"Well, I'm not."
"I could help you, take you somewhere you won't be lost."
 Kali shook her head and started to back pedal. She began to run again, but she didn't get far. Two more men appeared out of the shadows in front of her. She ran head firsts into them, but they caught her. She struggled against them but got nowhere.
  "Goodnight, Soldier."

   Kali was shaking slightly. It was all too much. Too much was going on and she couldn't handle it.
   "Kali?"
She shook her head and backed up to the table. Her hand fell back to her side as she leaned back against the table. Bucky leaned back against the wall, not knowing what was happening.
  All he knew was that she looked scared and confused. 
She didn't say anything about Bucky staying, so he didn't think he should leave. He remembers when he was coming back to himself, how he wanted noone yet someone there. 
 So now, he was there for her in silent company.
 It worked.