Galen and Sylvia Part 2

-I awoke to the smell of food. My stomach growled, when was the last time I had eaten? I didn’t recall. A platter of food was balanced in the door slot. Carefully taking the plate, I devoured the tasteless food. I felt weak, immensely tired and very, very alone. But more than anything, I was worried about Galen and what had become of him. What had she turned him into? I felt guilty. It was my one and only job to protect him, why hadn’t the goddess allowed me to intervene? Was there something I was missing? Some unspoken rule I had never learned?  I gnawed on my bottom lip as I heard the door above the stairs creak open. My chest seemed to tighten. Was that Galen here to pull off my feathers? But it did not matter to me, it hurt to think after all those years, watching him grow up he would be the reason I was to be grounded forever. But also in the mix of my wild emotions and thoughts, I felt happier it was him rather than anyone else. The slot built into the obsidian slid open. A sound of fabric rustling made me look up, I was surprised to be by met with a pair of bright green eyes.

“Hello?” I asked quietly.

“Hello.” A rich deep voice replied. “So what she said was true, she did indeed catch herself in angel. I am sorry that this has happened to you.”

“Who are you? Why are you here?”

“Does it matter starchild?”

I raised an eyebrow at him, “You call me what the heavens would call us…but you are not angelic…or I do not sense it.”

“I am fallen.” He replied coolly, opening the thick door. He pulled me to my feet. I was startled by his dark features, dark hair, brilliant green eyes, pale skin, and a nicely structured face. He was very tall, maybe reaching seven feet. His ebony wings folded behind him. He wore what I would describe as a farmer’s shirt, revealing his muscular arms. Jeans hung low on his hips. He lifted me with ease.

“…Again, why are you here?”

“I should be asking you that.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you forget you have powers to escape? To leave this place with ease?”

“But Galen will be killed if I escape!” I cried. “I cannot leave him!”

The man sighed, “You are a guardian, you are supposed to accept his death and move on.” The color drained from my face.

“But-”

“There is no argument. I am here because I am acquainted with the demoness upstairs, when she told me about her new prize, I asked if I may see you.”

“You are helping me?”

“There is a reason I am fallen, I made the same mistake many centuries ago, do not torture yourself.”

I blinked back tears.

“You must accept his death, the goddess is testing you. All mortals die, it is nature, even if he is not any longer.”

“Any longer?”

“He is now a demon, Rhys was very happy that he survived the transformation. He has become the breed of demon that thirsts for blood, most likely, yours.”

“Rhys? She only wants to torture me…” I whispered.

“Do not let her!” He growled, agitated. “You have the strength to move forward, do not be damned like me. Do not suffer under the cruelty of this woman.” He clasped my hands in his; his eyes flickered back to the door.  “Listen, he cannot be saved, he is doomed.”

“Shut up!” I cried, drawing away from him. “He is not a lost cause!” I bit my bottom lip till I drew blood. “If he is no longer mortal I have a chance to finally be with him!”