Rythian and Seraphina Part 2

Chapter 3

Over the past week, I spent it contacting as many male suitors as possible and even females that preferred women. For each girl, I had constructed a list of specific traits, needs and likes. I wanted them to be taken care of properly and I knew how absurd it may have sounded if I explained it to the other men, yet I didn’t care, I wanted each one to be loved and thought of as unique to their suitor. In my spare time, when not preparing for the “romance” ball, I took my time pleasing Seraphina. That however was much different than I had ever done in my entire life. There was much more to love, that I had not realized, so much she was teaching. Encouragement, praise, compliments, communication, kindness. These were fundamentals to winning her heart she had said, if I followed them, she would, in her words “fall for me”. And even though I had not told her, would not tell her, I knew her thoughts, and I was becoming ever closer to my little angel’s heart faster than I could imagine. And from what she was thinking, she did not mind being here, it was much better than her life at her village. She told me little of her life, only that she lived on a farm and was always kept inside, away from the men. It made me curious, but because she did not mention it, I did not ask any further questions.

There was one moment in particular moment that made me fawn over her only a few days before. We were settled in a particular area where the girls liked to hold tea parties. I personally, hated tea. I preferred whisky or wine, something stronger. The small cornered off section of the parlor was surrounded by potted roses weaving against the stain glass windows. There was always sunlight flooding through were the roses blossomed and permeated the air with their sweet fragrance. Seraphina was drawn to it like a bee to honey. I sat across from her as she stared out the window. I swirled my blood laced wine in my glass and asked what she was thinking about. She looked towards me and blushed, then smiled broadly.

“I was thinking about flying.” She replied softly.

“Ah, and have you ever flown before?” I prodded.

“Yes. I want to every day.”

“Why haven’t you asked me to let you out to fly?”

“Because even though I did not want to be here at first, even though I know you forced me to stay…I am more happier by your side then outside in the sky alone.” She murmured.

“I do not want you to be a caged bird Seraphina, I want you to be happy here.”

“And you are making every effort to do so…that is why I do not want to hurt you if I take to the skies without you.”

I smiled at her. I cannot explain how I felt right then. Maybe it was pride that I’d chosen such a sweet girl or maybe it was the thought she genuinely cared for my feelings. Whatever it was, it made me feel happier than I had been in my entire existence. I was then struck with an idea. It was then that I planned our special night together.

Within the week, three tailors showed up on my doorstep, their carriage filled with various supplies to make the dresses right here in the manor. I gave each girl a viewing with the tailors so they could discuss what they would like and how each dress would be very unique. I coaxed Seraphina to meet with them, she was very shy it seemed when meeting strangers. I worried if the ball would be too much stress on her, with various peoples attending, she might be strained. She was much like a bird, flighty, energetic and open minded. Seraphina was last to work with the tailors and it took surprisingly longer than the others. I wondered what they were up to in there. But after I had nearly paced a hole in the carpet outside the study, waiting for her, Jack appeared by my side.

“My lord, I need help with the decorating, what would you like to theme the ballroom as?” He led me away from the door, towards the ballroom. I looked back reluctantly, nervous to leave her behind.