Galen and Sylvia Part 1

The chains rattled against the dungeon floor. A rusty screech echoed through the cavernous room, making the boy flinch at the sound. I observed his gorgeous frame, with adoring eyes. His blue eyes were covered by a thick wool blindfold, his lip piercing bloody, his hair disheveled, red streaks barely visible within the lovely chocolate brown. He moved his head side to side, squirming.

“Wake up.” A voice demanded.  “Shush, listen. From now on, you are mine, boy.” He went to move his mouth but found it gagged. This boy I speak off was ensnared by thieves and sold to this woman here. Unfornately she was no mere woman, adorning her head was a pair of twining ebony horns. Her beauty was sinful, her breasts barely contained by the silk dress she wore. Standing at about 4 feet tall, her shockingly purple hair was weaved into two braids at her front, its length nearing her waist. Her icy skin made snow look grey in comparison. I already I despised her with great intensity. I watched him attempt to strike out, but his hands were bound by thick rope.

“Come now, you shouldn’t be upset, being sold to a demon priestess, you should be thankful I won’t eat all of you.” Oh my, the boy blindly looked towards his imprisoner’s vague location. The demoness made him rise by the roots of his hair and he winced. How could I possibly describe his facial expression? The helplessness that overwhelmed him and ultimately crushing his will. My heart ached. Empathetic, but I lacked the power to ease his pain, I could only watch. She snapped the chains off his ankles and guiding him with her hand, she half-dragged, half led him up jagged rock steps. She did not seem to care if her newly bought “toy” was hurting himself. He managed to spit out the gag, “Would you stop that!?” He shouted, enraged. She turned, looking back at him and smirking. I started towards the stairs, floating up soundlessly.

“Sorry boy, but the worst pain is yet to come.” She flashed him her fangs and he swallowed. My anger sparked, power coursing in my palms, ready to kill, ready to fight to protect who I loved. I could not bear it, Galen was suffering. Galen, oh Galen how I wanted to protect you yet, I cannot touch you or hold you. They arrived at the top of the stairwell, the hallway made of complete white marble, lit with red candles. When was I allowed to intervene? Surely soon. I chewed away my fingernails as she kicked open the double doors, laughing. She flung Galen onto the black and gold embroidered canopy bed. A very rich room, lit by large statue-esque  candles. They seemed creepy as they melted, their faces dripping wax. I shuddered. I started to pray to the goddess. Let me intervene now! Please! I beg you! But not a single heavenly word appeared in my head. I frowned, continuing to watch the demoness. She then removed Galen’s bonds on his hands and allowed him to see, freeing him of his blindfold. He blinked rapidly rubbing his eyes. “Oh…” He went to roll off the bed but she pinned him with ease.

 “Now then, be a good boy and you can mate with me.”

 “You’re kidding right?  Why the hell would I want to mate with-” She wrapped her dirty hands around his neck, squeezing. I put a hand to my throat, in tears.

“Do you want to die boy? I’ve found that I should use more of you to satisfy my desires.”

“I’m….not going to do anything for you!”

“Then slave you shall be!” She snarled, leaning down and locking her fangs into his neck. I stifled a sob by biting my hand. Galen’s eyes fluttered closed, I wanted to spare him this dreadful pain.  I felt the overwhelming feeling of helplessness. I was still not allowed to interfere. Disheartened, I continued to watch. Galen lay still, seeming to be in a forced state of sleep. She removed herself off his unconscious body, grinning wildly.

“Come out now Angel.” She stared straight at me. Since when could demons see guardians? I swallowed and reluctantly revealed myself.

“There we are, now I want you to show yourself to this boy.”

“I will do no such thing!”

“Oh?” She poises a blade at his throat. I quickly rushed to stop her. Where had she hidden that weapon?

“Uh, uh, uh, no Angel, I do not care for him, but you certainly do, you are priceless.”

“What do you want from me?”

“You, as a prize, angels are rare to capture, finding a guardian angel…even more so, you will become mine.”

“I will n-”

“Really? Do you wish your precious watched item to die?” She stroked his chest with her jeweled blade. I was frozen in place. How could she have known Galen was guarded by an angel? Why was she in need of an angel such as myself? This was a great concern, if I was revealed to Galen, he would be killed instantly unless…she had already killed him…or doomed him to a life lower than humanity. I couldn’t possibly let her kill Galen but also giving myself to her, allowing a demon to have heavenly powers? That would be disastrous! What could I do? I submitted myself, sinking to my knees, hands splayed out, ready to be chained.

My heart sunk as she bound my wrists. I couldn’t let all that I loved in the world be killed by my own selfishness.

“I plan to keep him too, do not worry, I’ll use him as a reward if you’re good.”

“What do you want with me? Please do not harm him.” I said quietly. She laughed in a mocking tone.

“I’ll do anything I want with him.” She plucked a feather from my wing and I screamed in agony. Pain laced through my shoulder as I suffered. Galen stirred on the bed, his body twitched and he rolled over.

“Ah, my venom must be working. Soon he’ll behave quite nicely.”

“V-Venom? You witch!” I shrieked, furious. She slapped me hard, my neck snapping back from the force. It took me several moments to realize what happened.

“Do not insult me. Galen is going to be my mate, my consort. And there’s nothing you can do about it. I always get what I want. Don’t even consider yourself a living being anymore.” She hissed, taking a chain from a dresser and wrapping it around my neck, leading me out of the bedroom, away from Galen. I always watched over him, always. I didn’t sleep or eat, there was no need, every single second of the day.  My heart ached as she forced me to rise to my feet.

“Galen! Wake up!” I cried.

“Do not bother him, he needs his rest to survive the transformation.”

“How could you hurt my love!? Why do you need me!?”

“This.” She held between her fingers the feather pulled from my wing. “Do you know how much these are worth? How powerful this single feather is?” I shook my head, looking around the dimly lit hallway.

“You don’t need money, you are a demon.”

“I am a demon of envy, I prefer to spoil myself and take away from others.” My wings fluttered behind me.

“But without my feathers I can’t fly!”

“Stupid angel, where you are going, you won’t need them.”

I swallowed, “I need sunlight to live!”

“That won’t be an issue.” She tugged me down the spiral staircase, where we met those rock steps once again. We were heading for the dungeon where Galen had recently been imprisoned. I shivered, holding myself within the chains length. It was pitch black when we reached the bottom. She freed me of my chains which I was surprised about. She moved fast as she shoved me into a safe-like box. She slammed the heavy door behind me, locking it in place. A single slot in the door let her speak to me. “You know what? I’ll have Galen pull the feathers off for me.” She giggled. My heart filled with dread. No day could be any worse than this. She locked the slot into place. It was almost completely dark but I now realized there was a tiny source of light, and that light was starlight. I found another slot open to the barred window high above me. My wings wrapped around me. The walls of this box seemed to be made of smooth thick obsidian. Galen would learn of my presence so now I could no longer be his guardian. I had failed, why did my goddess not let me protect him? My life was ending so rapidly. Heartbroken, I slept for the first time in my tangible life. I dreamt of holding Galen. Something I hoped for with all my heart.