Hello instead of Goodbye

Seeing my sister cry was the worst thing in the world for me to witness. And I had witnessed many troublesome things in my sixteen years of life. Mei was a sensitive girl who cried over the stupidest things, other people would have gotten used to her crying and ignored the girl. I hadn't. Every time she cried I would comfort her, and as I packed my things my mind kept wandering to who would do so when she cried, now that I was leaving.

If I had a choice I wouldn't leave, but that wouldn't be possible. Ever since I was born everything in my life was monitored and facilitated by my grandmother. My friends, my wardrobe, even my haircut was tailored, so that I wouldn't bring anymore shame to the Sayomi family then I already had. While Mei was the spitting image of our mother, with curly brown locks and magnificent blue eyes that my grandmother and father also shared, I looked nothing like either of them.

My hair was black as night and my eyes were a brown colour that looked maroon in the light. I didn't look like my mother or father, and that was because I was the spitting image of a woman who my father had an affair with. I was the family shame, a reminder of my father's unfaithfulness, and even though I was the eldest and my mother forgave my father and raised me like her own, I was not allowed to take over the Tea Empire my family was known for. In the future my sister would do so, upon my grandmothers will.

It was also my grandmother's will to move me away from Mei, so that I would not be able to be around her. So that I would live in isolation like she thought I deserved to. My parent's opposed this idea until their very last breathes. The two died a year ago in a plane crash on their way back from one of their many second honeymoon trips. My grandmother upon hearing the news began to separate Mei and I. We weren't allowed to eat together, we weren't allowed to go to social events in the same car, and our shared room was now demolished and Mei was given a larger room to sleep in with guards around her 24/7, so she couldn't sneak out to see me. Mei was only twelve and she had to suffer so. I never thought I could harbour as much hatred as I did towards my grandmother, but for making Mei suffer as much as she did how could I not?

I finished packing and picked up my suitcase, doing a thorough once over of my room. If I left anything important it would be thrown out, and there was no way I would be allowed back into this estate. My walls were bare, my desk now cleared. My closet empty and my stuffed bunny that Mei had given me for my birthday last month (without my grandmother knowing), was packed in my suitcase. A knock my bedroom door was followed by a creek, signalling the person had come into my room. I turned my head looking at the family steward Nicholas.

"Miss, your transportation is waiting out front. Your grandmother has provided you with a butler and maid to accompany you to the second estate. They will be there when you arrive. Be safe." he whispered. Nicholas was an old man that wore glasses, who worked for my family ever since my father had been a young boy. He was one of the few staff members I could confine in, without having to worry he would go and tell my grandmother what I had said.

"Thank you Nicholas. Watch over Mei for me." He nodded his head and opened the door wider for me. When I existed my room Nicholas closed the door and locked it. Grandmother had made it clear that no one shall enter my room after I left. Yet another reminder of shame she wanted no one else to see. The sound of my footsteps were the only things that were heard as I made my way to the front door. Nicholas had been called by my grandmother, to attend to something in the kitchen leaving me alone.

"MIYA!" my sisters voice rang throughout the hallway, cutting through the silence alerting me to her running figure behind me. She was crying, this time I was the reason why. And I couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't go against my grandmothers wishes, I couldn't take her with me. I was a failure as her older sister. I wasn't strong enough or powerful enough to go against my grandmother's will. In truth I had come to hate myself.

I watched as two of my sister's guards detained her. She cried harder as they held her tight. "MIYA!" She cried out as two other guards began pushing me towards the door.

"Mei I love you. Please don't forget that! I won't say goodbye. Not yet, for now I'll bid you Hello!" I yelled before I was pushed out the door, and into the car that would take me to my hell hole. The car door locked with a click.

"Your grandmother has instructed that once you are at the second estate you are never to return. You shall not have contact with your sister and you shall not go to the same school as her either. She has transferred you to Ouran Academy and you shall begin tomorrow. The school uniform has been placed in your new bedroom and your activities there will be monitored by your grandmother. You are the eldest child of the Sayomi family keep that in mind when you attend that school. You have an image to uphold Miss Sayomi." A monotone voice said over the intercom, on the limo. I sighed as we drove off. The voice replayed the message over and over as if my grandmother was trying to brainwash me.

No more Mei, no more Nicolas. My old life was gone. The only choice I had now was breathing, and I was tempted to give it up .