Chapter 52 (Final Chapter)

Eli Bensworth

Eli knew he was in trouble when his eyes flickered open. He was once again tied up in a chair the same way he was with Xavier Greene. Only this time, he wasn't alone. Someone was sitting in a chair behind him, tied up and knocked out in a similar fashion. 

"Rhonda? Rhonda, is that you?" Eli called out to the person seating behind him. 

There was a soft groan as the person behind him came to. 

"Rhonda?" Eli asked. 

"No, Detective, it's me. Cassidy," Cassidy groaned. 

"Oh...oh, okay, Cassidy. Are you alright? Do you know where we are?" Eli asked Cassidy. 

He felt Cassidy look around their surroundings. "I...I think we're in the auditorium. The school auditorium in Cliffton High. We're on the stage of the auditorium right now. Detective, what happened?" 

"I don't know," Eli said. "All I remember was someone knocking me out. Do you know where's my partner?" 

"I think I can answer that." 

Someone stepped out of the shadows at the back of the stage, moving forward into the light. 

It was Scott. 

"Scott, what the hell are you up to?" Cassidy accused. "You had Sylvia's necklace in your locker. How did you get it?" 

Scott crossed his arms and that was when Eli saw the gun in his hands. "How I got it? How do you think, Cassidy?" 

Scott's eyes were cold and harsh. His face was grim. 

"What kind of monster have you become?" Cassidy breathed. "I was blind to have once loved you."

Scott let out a 'hmph' of displeasure. 

"Where's my partner?" Eli demanded. 

Scott turned to him. "Your partner, Detective? She's right here with me." 

"What?" 

The shadows parted and, almost eerily, Detective Rhonda Willis stepped out from the shadows as well. Rhonda looked fine. It didn't seem like she'd been knocked out at all. 

Her eyes were solemn and there was a hint of sadness twinging in her expression as she walked over and stood next to Scott. Eli noted the gun in her hand. 

"Hello, Eli," Rhonda said, almost guiltily, her eyes darting around, refusing to look Eli in the eye. 

"Rhonda? What? Why are you with him?" Eli asked, looking at Rhonda and Scott in utter bewilderment. 

Rhonda looked away, crossing her arms. "I'm sorry Eli. I know that being a police officer, serving and upholding the law is my civic duty. But family's the most important to me." 

"What are you talking about?" Eli spluttered. 

Rhonda looked at Eli. "I won't let them take my son away." 

"Your s-" 

The truth dawned on Eli. Eli shook his head, not wanting to believe it. "No. No, that's crazy. He can't be your- That's not possible-" 

"It is," Rhonda muttered. "Scott's my son." 

Scott looked up at Rhonda and for the first time, Eli saw the concern and worry in his eyes. "Mom, I- I'm sorry I got you into this." 

Rhonda shook her head, not meeting Scott's eyes either. "It's okay, Scott. Let me handle this." 

"She's your mother?" Cassidy spluttered at Scott.