Chapter 39

Eli Bensworth 

Matilda Stone was not happy to see Eli and Rhonda show back up at EDITORIAL DELIGHTS. 

It was the day after Mr Hoskins' murder. Eli, who assured Lt Powers that he was well rested enough to return to his job, had met up with Rhonda at EDITORIAL DELIGHTS, what was now the old workplace of the two deceased workers Kevin Crowle and Edward Hoskins. 

"I can't believe you two are back here again after all the trouble you caused the last time you were here!" Matilda Stone snapped, crossing her arms haughtily. 

"Miss Stone, we cannot control who gets put on what case. Moreover, the important thing to note here is not our arrival, but the death of your boss, Mr Hoskins," Rhonda said patiently. 

"Are you two the only two infernal cops in this brazen city?" Matilda grumbled. 

"It's our job to crack cases and find the culprit," Eli said. "So if you'd like to co-operate, Miss Stone, we can get this over and done with as fast as possible." 

"Fine. Go ahead. Interrogate me and the workers. Not like we have anything else to do around here with the boss gone," Matilda said, looking thoroughly disgruntled. 

"First and foremost, where were you last night?" Rhonda asked. 

"At home. Resting. Watching TV. What else does one do on a Sunday night?" Matilda asked. 

"Can anyone confirm your alibi?" Eli asked. 

"No one but my two cats. Would you like to ask them?" Matilda asked sarcastically. 

Eli and Rhonda gave up on her. 

"Hey, Detectives. Remember me?" a young man in the office cubicle next to them spoke up. 

It was a while before Eli recognized him as Bani Lupus, or Ben, as he would have it, from their last visit here. 

"I never thought we here at EDITORIAL DELIGHTS would be seeing you again," Ben said, looking enthusiastic. "Crazy, huh? Poor Mr Hoskins..." 

"Yeah, Mr Lupus, we need to interrogate you too, as well as everyone else in this office," Rhonda said. 

"Go ahead. Shoot," Ben said. "Not that kind of 'shoot' but you know what I mean." 

Rhonda rolled her eyes. "Anyway, where were you last night?" 

"Home sweet home," Ben remarked. "That's how I spend most of my Sunday nights unless there's something else on that I gotta do." 

"Anyone able to confirm your alibi?" Eli asked. 

"My sister, Debra. She was home with me," Ben said. 

"Alright. Give us her number. We'll call her up later." 

Next, Eli and Rhonda moved on to the other workers. For such a big workspace, Mr Hoskins had been delegated only five employees, inclusive of Matilda Stone, to his sector of the magazine company. Left to speak to was Norman Jones, Frankie Haywood and Ruby Santiago, whom Eli remembered seeing as well the last time he was here on the Homewrecker case. 

"Where were you last night?" 

"Pub. With Norman," Frankie said, sipping his coffee. "He invited me to go drink some beers and hit on some women. The football match was showing on TV too so that was something to look forward to. Plenty of fans there supporting our team as well." 

Norman nodded, confirming Frankie's statement. "You can go to the pub yourself and ask around. We're not lying. Bartender ought to remember us." 

"What about you, Miss Santiago?"