Chapter 34

Eli Bensworth

Eli sat up in his bed in the hospital ward. Rubbing his eyes, he looked over at the digital alarm clock on his bedside table. 

2:57 

He hadn't been asleep that long. There was a vase of flowers next to the alarm clock. Otherwise, the ward was devoid of furniture and he was the only patient there besides another weak-looking woman lying in her mid-thirties lying in the bed opposite his. 

He'd been admitted into hospital straight after his traumatic experience being tortured by Xavier. His chest still hurt. He was just glad it had only been spark cables. Sure, being electrocuted was a horrible thing, but at the very least, it hadn't lasted long. And Xavier had never got the chance to use the other torture devices on him, like the pair of pliers and the can of gasoline. 

"You're awake." 

Eli turned to see Lt Powers and Rhonda seated on two uncomfortable-looking bucket chairs next to his bed. 

"How are you feeling?" It had been Lt Powers who had spoken earlier, but now it was Rhonda asking. 

"I'll be honest. I feel horrible. But I'm thankful that for now, at least, I can rest," Eli said, leaning back against his pillows. 

"I suppose you'd like to know that we've cleared up the mess," Lt Powers said. "The morgue's full of dead gang members, but that's no loss. Lesser gang members means a decrease in the level of crime and gang violence in the city. I'd congratulate you on a job well done, but that would be ironic." 

"You don't say," Eli muttered, raising his eyes to the ceiling. 

"The police found the dead bodies of Patricia Chang and Xavier Greene in an abandoned building not too far from where the gang fight had been taking place. It took us ninety minutes to get to you guys after Rhonda called in for back-up," Lt Powers said solemnly, resting a hand on Eli's bedside table. "We've already got Rhonda's statement of the events, but once you're rested enough to return to work, we'll be expecting you to give us your statement as well. It's protocol." 

"You can count on it, sir," Eli said tiredly. 

Lt Powers studied weary expression and sighed in understanding. "I understand how you feel Eli. You and Rhonda were lucky to survive tonight. Revenge killers are always the worst to fear. It just goes to show that the life of someone working in the police force is not easy, Eli. Now you rest up, alright? Doctors say you should be able to return to work tomorrow. We won't send you out on any more physical cases until you're feeling strong enough for it, but we still expect you to crack cases with the deductive reasoning that you're famous for, Detective. Goodnight." 

Lt Powers left the room and Rhonda made to follow him, stopping just as she reached the doors. She turned back to Eli. "Nice flowers you got there." 

Eli gave her a small chuckle, looking at the roses on his bedside table. "Yeah. Thanks." 

Rhonda gave him an uneasy smile before turning around and walking away. 

Eli sighed to himself, pushing the roses further away from him before leaning back and shutting his eyes. 

"I'm allergic to roses." 

Jonah Whitley 

"So, Ponnie, ready to go?" 

Jonah stood at the entrance to Ponnie's house, leaning against the doorframe, waiting as Ponnie rummaged around upstairs. 

"Hold on!" came her voice. "I just need to get..." 

Ponnie came back down, looking flustered but relieved. "...my camera!" 

"You got a new one?" Jonah asked as Ponnie closed her front door behind her. 

"Yeah. My aunt April got me one for my birthday," Ponnie said. 

"You didn't tell me your birthday passed," Jonah said. 

"It hasn't," Ponnie said, shooting him a smirk. "My birthday's actually in a month's time. But my aunt April's memory is really foggy anyway and I'll just take it that this is an advance present. Now come on, we don't want to be late for Valerie's party!"