Chapter 33

Eli Bensworth

It was nighttime when Eli and Rhonda left the building that Xavier had kept them both locked up in. They'd been held prisoner in one of the buildings not too far from where the staged gang war had taken places.

Bodies of innocent Scorpions and Typhoons littered the streets. As mercenary as these people were, those who had died had believed they were dying so as to protect the dignity of their brothers-in-arms. Yet Scorpion had treacherously betrayed its own brethren, sending forth gang members they could afford to lose while Patricia and the other Scorpions who had staged the war and killed Dragon sat back and reaped Xavier's bounty reward.

An ambulance had arrived, ready to receive any one still alive with injuries. Rhonda helped Eli, who was still weak, over to it. Eli collapsed in the nearest seat and a paramedic hurried over to him.

"He's in shock. Quite literally. Please take him to the hospital," Rhonda said to the paramedic. "He's a detective."

"Say no more, ma'am, we'll get him to safety," the paramedic said. "We were about to set off anyway."

Rhonda nodded and the paramedic moved to close the large double doors of the ambulance. Just before he did so, Eli stared out of the vehicle at Rhonda. Rhonda stood, arms crossed, staring at the carnage evident on the street, her eyes roaming over the dead bodies on the road and the remains of wrecked vehicles. Then the doors shut on him and he could see her no more.

*

Cassidy Hoskins

"Look!" Sylvia said.

It was Sunday night, with only a few minutes to go before Scott came to chaffeur the pair of them over to Valerie's party. Sylvia was seated on Cassidy's couch, watching the news on TV.

"...after a brutal gang fight between well-known rival gangs, Scorpion and Tai Fung in downtown San Francisco. The fight resulted in over 30 casualties from both gangs including notorious leader of the Scorpions, Patricia Chang, otherwise known as the Black Widow. Other casualties include two unnamed people, who were most likely passers-by. Police arrived on the scene to arrest the remaining members of Scorpion and Tai Fung who survived the shoot-out and the injured were sent off to the hospital..."

"That newscaster has such a deep, sexy voice, doesn't he?" Sylvia squealed.

"Is that seriously all you're getting out of this?" Cassidy asked, half amused, half exasperated at Sylvia's lack of proper prioritization.

"What? People die," Sylvia said. "Kidding, but seriously, his voice really is alluring, isn't it?"

"Mm, I guess, just don't mention that in front of Jack," Cassidy joked.

The sound of a car horn honking outside the mansion startled the both of them. 

"Ooh! That's gotta be Scott, come on!" Cassidy said, snatching up her purse. 

Switching off the TV, Sylvia and Cassidy gathered their things and rushed out of the house.