Chapter 24

Cassidy Hoskins

Later that night, Cassidy sat at her desk, staring out her bedroom window at the starry night sky. 

Being a teenager in modern society, Cassidy hardly ever had time to reflect on things what with schoolwork and her demanding social life taking up much of her time and attention. But tonight was special. Cassidy had hardly ever had such a memorable kiss; memorable enough that it still left an satisfying aftertaste tingling on her tongue. 

Her first kiss with Scott. Tonight marked her victory. She'd gotten the boyfriend she'd wanted. She'd had an amazing first kiss with him. Scott wasn't Cassidy's first boyfriend, obviously, nor was he her first ever kiss. No, someone like Cassidy had blown through three boyfriends already, and she'd kissed more boys than she could count - not that she had feelings for any of them other than the exception of the earlier three. 

Yet Scott felt different somehow. Cassidy couldn't explain it. She felt as if she was sealing her fate when they locked lips - as if she was willingly letting herself be enraptured into the clutches of something she should never have let herself into in the first place. 

Something about Scott's confession of love felt strange, awkward, almost staged. The passion in the kiss they shared felt like something out of a romantic movie - meaning it was all on-screen with none of the actual passion in real life. Cassidy half expected credits to roll and for Scott to come out, shake her hand and say "Nice acting with you." 

Sylvia had been overjoyed at Cassidy's latest success, yet Cassidy herself felt empty inside. Shaking off her mixed feelings, she got off her seat and collapsed onto her bed, wrapping herself up in the comfortable bed-sheets, determined to put her thoughts away in the recesses of her muddled brain where her subconscious would be unable to reach.