Chapter 40

Jonah Whitley 

The news spread around like wildfire at school. How Scott had pretended to be Cassidy's boyfriend when really he had his eye on Ponnie, how Scott had finally lost his cool at Valerie's party and tried to force Ponnie to like him, how Scott and Cassidy had broken up and how Cassidy had returned home only to find that her father had been murdered. 

Cassidy didn't show up for school the day after the party, presumably at home, grieving. Jonah didn't blame her. For a second, he almost felt sorry for her. Ponnie did too. 

"Cassidy may have been mean to me, but she didn't deserve to have her father die like that. No one does," Ponnie said to Jonah. 

Later on during recess, there was more drama to be had. 

"You heartless beast!" Sylvia cried as she stormed up and slapped Scott across the cheek. 

Everyone turned to look at Sylvia, who had just cut into Scott's queue at the counter to slap him. 

"How could you do that to Cassidy?" she scolded. 

"I didn't want to have to break up with her on the same night her father died and cause her double heartbreak," Scott said. "It was just a really bad coincidence." 

"Her father's death, it has nothing to do with you. But how could you string her along and toy with her feelings?" Sylvia spluttered. 

She stamped her foot and stormed off, leaving Scott standing there, blinking awkwardly, everyone staring at him. 

On a side-note, while Cassidy's life began spiraling out of control, Jonah's life was starting to look up. He was walking with a spring in his step and a smile on his face. 

"What's got you looking so happy?" his uncle asked when he saw Jonah at home, smiling confidently to himself as he channel surfed on TV. 

"Life," Jonah said with a simple smile. 

"Life? I think you mean Ponnie," his uncle said. 

"How'd you know her name?" Jonah asked, shocked. 

"You forgot to log out of Facebook last night. I was cleaning your room for you and happened to see your messages with her. I'd reprimand you for it, because I don't think I can forget it, but this Ponnie seems like a decent girl, so you make sure you treat her nicely, boy," his uncle said sternly. 

He and Ponnie didn't call themselves a couple, but it was clear to the pair of them that that was what they were. It didn't matter that Scott was clearly still madly waiting for an opportunity to make Ponnie his, but for now, Ponnie and Jonah were together. 

And both of them couldn't be happier.