where the night is our friend

"Beware the full moon when your eyes go black, and night turns to light." Is what my father would say to me as a boy warning me of our family's dark history.

"And if the night shifts to the brightness hide from those who know the secrets that you have. Turn to your animalia, and join our brothers and sisters of the pack." He would go on telling me where to find them.

"Now boy I want you to promise me that you will turn to the Lord almighty when your life comes undone, and time burns to ash." His voice rising as he grasped my shoulders with tears starting to well up in his eyes. My own now watering as well I promised him I would do as he asked.

"Good, now be weary. Never follow the crowd of the pack, for sometimes we must stand alone to prove that we can still stand... now not to just others, but to ourselves as well. I will be gone for a while so look after your sister don't stop moving, and most importantly... stay alive." Those were his last words he had spoken to me before disappearing from earth. I was only twelve at the time, and now as it is six years later on a blue moon night it happened. My innocence was taken as bones cracked and shifted, walking on four legs was the way. Now the night is my friend. Now I am the wolf, and now me and my sister will find the pack to live in peace away from the mob my father was killed by. The ones that know our secret, and now the Lord and my nose are the guide to safety.

~Alex K original©