Unusual

Chapter 9

The drive is longer than I anticipated, I have been following James for the last nine hours and my throat is starting to burn. I turned up my stereo to distract me and pumped Linkin Park song, Faint through my speakers. I sang every word, each words rang clear in my mind, but this time its me turning my back on them. I reached into my handbag and pulled out my phone. I unlocked the screen, its been over three days and they still haven't noticed I'm missing. I took my first step to forgetting my old life, I squeeze the phone in my hand and crushed it til in broke into a thousand tiny little pieces and let it fall to the floor of my car. I looked up and saw James slowing down and indicating to the left. I turned to the left following him down a thin lane only big enough for one car at a time. I sat up straighter, trying to see what the lane lead too.

                                     After ten minutes of driving, a large cast iron gate that stood at least up to ten ft but what captured my attention is the beautiful house behind it. Its a one story house done with granite stone and alot of glass making it look sophisticated but an old feel to it. The gardens surrounding it are a lush green with rows and rows of delicate colourful flowers, with larger trees. The gates started to open, after a minute, James starting driving again and I followed, taking in every beautiful detail. This place is amazing and I have only seen the outside. I parked my car beside James and got out. I done a full circle looking around, this place is literally breathtaking. I didn't expect James to own a house like this, I kind of expected a apartment.

"Its beautiful here, isn't it" James said.

"Its more than beautiful, it is breathtaking" I said.

"It is, its my own little sanctuary from the world, lets get your bag and get you settle into your new home til you ready for our world " he said.

I nodded and walked to the boot of the car grabbing my bags as James grabbed his own bags. I looked at him trying to figure him out, why would he help me, Im a nobody, he wasnt the one that changed me. But I'm not about to turn down the opportunity to find out more about this hidden world that I have been awakened to. I followed him as he opened the front door. The house is just as beautiful on the inside. Its warm and homely but also sophisticated. Not what I expected his home to be like. But then again, I dont know anything about him, other than he can hear my thoughts.

"You must be thirsty by now, you are more incontrol of your needs than most newly changed vampires, I have blood in the fridge, it should hold off the burning" he said.

"You keep blood in your fridge?" I asked.

"Were not exactly near civilization, to find someone to feed on without been noticed" he said. I tried not to blush at my stupidity.

He walked towards the fridge and pulled out a couple of small bottles with what I hope is blood inside them. He threw one bottle towards me, which I caught effortlessly. When I was human, I wouldn't have been able to catch it. The perks of been changed are adding up more than any downsides. I opened the lit and my mouth watered as the scent of blood hit my nose. I didn't waste anytime knocking the blood back. I could feel the burn in my throat ease, but I didn't have the same rush I get from feeding off someone. I didn't realise how addicted to that rush I am becoming.

"Its not nearly as thrilling as feeding off a human" he said, literally reading my thoughts.

"No it isn't, you can hear my thoughts, is that your power" I asked.

"Yes it is, your power on the other hand is quite intriguing, especially when you had this power as a human, which means there is a possibility you have another power or powers from the change" he said.

"So your power, can you switch off from it, that you aren't bombarded with the thoughts of everyone around you?" I asked, changing the subject from me to him.

"Yes I can, but it took decades to control it, I felt like I was going insane at first, between my lust for blood and everyone's thoughts, it was too much, I use to have to isolate myself from people and be as far away as possible just to know which thoughts were other peoples and which thoughts were mine own. I could only sleep then, even when I slept around other people their thought still got through" he said.

"How did you manage your powers as a human?" he asked, I guess he deserves an answer he has given me one.

"I didn't manage, I only had a small amount of control, I could kill or cause severe pain, so I didn't get close to anyone, not like I could anyway, it was like people could sense I was dangerous, even if they didn't know why, but that didn't stop the mental torture, I would have prefered physical torture" I said.

"When you said before you dont look anything like you used to, what did you mean?" he asked.

"Everything about me has changed, my looks, my eye and hair colour, my body, my looks seem to  become more defined, more alluring after every feed, why do you ask, dont all vampires look different when they are changed?" I asked confused at his question.

"No Lexi, we dont change, our features become more defined, enhanced but nothing as drastic as you describe, do you have an old picture, on your age card or anything" he asked.

Shocked by what he just said, I grabbed my bag and rooted through my purse, looking for some form of identification. I pulled out my drivers licence and handed it to him. He looked from my licence to me, then back again. Looking confused.

"This is unusual, I have never seen a new born vampire appearance change like this Lexi, but your appearance, is so alluring, you can't help but be drawn to you sexually, I noticed that in every man that has seen you, their thoughts change from their normal ramblings to you, they can't think or focus on anything but you Lexi, even I can't clear my mind of you completely, you stay lingering in my thoughts" he said.

"Okay, so what does all of that mean?" I asked.

"I have an idea, but I want to be a hundred percent positive about it before we can work on it. I have a close friend who has been around longer than any vampires I have met, except for the royals," He said.

"Royals?" I asked.

"Royal are pure blood vampires, they are born not created and hold more power than any vampires I have met travelling, the power that some of get when we change is a diluted form of theirs. I can hear thoughts easily, so can you imagine what a royal is capable of if my powers are diluted Compared to them" he said.

How can we live our lives as humans and not be aware of this whole other world, where creature that movies gave us reasons to fear or want to be like, are everywhere, hell they have their own king and queen. I would hate to meet them if they are as powerful as James says. But I can't wait for James to contact his friend, he might know why my whole looks have changed.