D. Gray Man~Secrets of The Order: Chapter Seventeen

D. Gray Man—Chapter Seventeen

She was crying. Her eyes were soaked in tears. I tried to help her. But didn't know what to do. The only thing I knew, was that onee-chan was crying, and upset. I didn't know why she was upset. I didn't know what was happening. I looked around the small tattered house. It was in ruins. Nobody's been here for years.

"Akira-chan. Don't let them get you. Okay?" She patted my head, and smiled. "They might get me, but don't let them get you, too. Don't let them decide what your future is going to be. Don't let them trap you like a bird in a cage, unable to fly. You deserve to make your own choices.

"Don't listen to me, when I scream for help. It's just to attract attention. So don't listen. Just look away, like you don't know me. Understood? And take care of yourself." I stared at her bright smile.

"Onee-chan, why are they taking you away? Why can't I come with you?" I asked in a feeble voice.

Her eyes hardened, and there was no longer any cheerfulness to them, or sadness. They were stone-like, no longer kind and caring. "They're taking me away because...of money. And you can't come with me, because you need to stay here." When she saw my frightened face, her expression instantly turned back to her normal state.

"Will I ever see you again?"

She didn't answer immediately, but when the one word reply came, she said it in a quiet and slow voice, "Maybe."

"Onee-chan, how come you don't run away? We could run away together, with mother and father." At the words mother and father, she tense up.

She shook her head, "I can't run, Akira. Running from them...is an impossibility."

I smiled, "Nothing's impossible!"

"Nothing's impossible? Huh." She mumbled under her breath.

Everything faded into blackness. Then another scene replaced the darkness. It was the dream on the train. It seemed to never end. It kept repeating, the same thing every time. I tried to grasp what the girl looked like, but every time when I finally think that I've remembered her features, it flows away from me. No matter how many times I tried, it keeps escaping my frustrated hands. I know that it's there, but I just can't put my finger on it.

My eyes felt heavy. That was weird...usually I don't realize that I'm having a dream when I'm asleep. Most people don't. I tried to rub my eyes. But something cool and hard was holding them down. I opened my tired eyelids, to observe my surroundings.

The room was white. There was a window. And white curtains. Where the heck am I right now? Why am I here? What am I doing here? I searched my mind to see if I could come up with anything useful. Mission. Akumas. Black out. It all came flowing back into my memory.

But why am I in this...overly white room? And why the heck are my arms held down?! Ugh, my eyes, they're burning from all this white!!

I did the first thing that came to my mind. I screamed. "Help!! Someone help me! Someone help!" I frowned, for some reason, those words sound so familiar. Weird. I heard some footsteps outside the (white) door. They seemed frantic and rushed. Someone burst into the room.

It was a woman. I've never seen her before. But I haven't seen a lot of people before. She's probably a nurse, judging by her clothes, which were white, may I add. She had brown hair. And maybe green eyes, I'm not a hundred percent sure, since my eyes are still slightly blurry. She looked like she was in her thirties. Her facial expressions were worried.