Chapter Nine

I was standing next to Kane talking to a group of people that worked with him at the Stronghold Corporation; my gaze followed Tara as she immediately caught sight of Mikko and made her way to his side. She wrapped him in a hug and he returned the gesture but it didn’t look like he wanted to; she kept her hand on his arm as she pulled away while flipping her hair over her shoulder with her other one. Just the way she was looking at him had me wanting to run over and smack that smile right off her face; she seductively ran her hand up and down his arm while biting her lip. Mikko tried to turn away from her but she pulled on his arm to get his attention back; I could see that she was trying anything she could just to get his attention and was failing miserably.

          They started talking back and forth and while she still had a smile plastered on her face Mikkos face was set in a hard glare. She tugged on his arm trying to get him away from the group of people they were talking with but Mikko didn’t budge; I smiled seeing that he really wasn’t interested in her, she didn’t seem to be getting the point. Moments later her hands were flying up in the air like she was mad about something and Mikko looked around worried before grabbing her arm and dragging her to a more secluded area of the room. I wanted to trust Mikko to make the right decision and he really didn’t seem to be interested in her but I didn’t want to risk losing him to her again; not when we were just starting to get back to where we once were.

          I excused myself from the group of people we were talking to and made my way over to where Mikko and Tara appeared to be having a heated conversation. I squared my shoulders and smoothed out my dress as I approached; if this bitch thought that she could just waltz in and take Mikko back from me when I just barely got back with him myself she had another thing coming. Mikko ran his hand through his hair a few times and rolled his eyes at whatever it was Tara was saying; she reached for his hand again but he immediately pulled away. He caught sight of me when I was just a few feet away and the hard line that was set on his lips turned to a smile; Tara seeing the change in his expression turned around just as I walked up and her mouth fell open when she took in my extended belly.

“Mikko.” I said greeting him and keeping my voice as friendly as possible; Mikko wrapped his arm around my waist when I walked up and I didn’t try to fight the smile that spread across my face.

“Tara you remember Elena right?” He asked as he pulled me closer to him and lightly kissed my forehead.

“I…umm… Yeah I remember… Is she… Is that…” She couldn’t seem to form a full sentence as her eyes darted from mine, to my stomach, to Mikko and back to me again.

“Such a pleasure to see you again Tara.” I lied keeping my voice friendly; her mouth formed a hard line across her face as she tried to stand a little taller; I could see that my friendly greeting pissed her off and that was exactly what I was trying for.

“That can’t be yours she’s hu…” Tara pointed at my stomach but cut her words short before she said something that she didn’t think she was supposed to.

“Human?” I said raising my eyebrows and finishing her sentence for her; her mouth once again dropped open in shock. Mikko pulled me to stand in front of him before wrapping both hands around my waist and lightly rubbed my belly.

“This.” Mikko said holding his hands on both sides of my belly. “Is mine.” He continues smiling down at me.