Chapter Five

The next two weeks were spent trying my best to avoid Mikkos attempts to talk to me. He had tried everything from stopping me in the hallway at work to coming to my hotel room and knocking on the door for what felt like hours. I ignored what seemed like hundreds of text messages he sent me; it got to the point that I just changed my number to make them stop. Why couldn’t he just get it through his head that I didn’t want anything to do with him anymore?

          I was called for a job interview by a company in Texas; and after a long phone interview I was hired on the spot. I made arrangements for my plane ticket and a hotel room to stay at until I was able to get settled in Dallas and find an apartment to stay at. All the planning helped keep me busy and keep my mind off of Mikko; as much as I hated him right now for cheating on me there was still part of me that wanted him back; I wasn’t going to let that part of me win, I needed to stay strong and just forget about him.

          Once I arrived in Texas I only had a day before I would start my new job so that didn’t really give me much time to look for apartments; I did manage to grab a paper from a local diner after I had dinner and took it back to the hotel with me. The next morning I started the new job; it was really fast paced so it didn’t give me time to think about anything else. Once back in my hotel room I scanned through the paper and called a few places that I thought looked interesting.

          I had so much going on at work that week that I didn’t have a chance to look at apartments until the weekend. The first three I went to look at were basically dumps and there was no way I would be living there. I called the last number on my list and an elderly lady answered the phone and offered to show me the small two bedroom house that she had for rent. We walked in to find freshly painted walls and newer looking carpet, just those two things alone sold me on the house; compared to the apartments I looked at earlier this place was a gem.

          I signed the one year lease agreement and went back to the hotel to pack up my few belongings. Once I was back at what was now to be my home I got set on unpacking my bags; it took a whole twenty minutes due to my lack of having anything. I made notes of things I would still need to get but after filling up a whole notebook page I just decided to give up; I had never thought of all the things you would need living on your own, it looked like it was take out and fast food for me for a while.

          The second week at work was a little better; I was starting to feel like I fit in and was getting a schedule down for myself. The work was basically the same thing I had done at Stronghold just with different accounts so it wasn’t that hard to get everything down pat but it seemed like there was a much heavier work load here. By the time I would get home each night all I would have the energy to do was order food and watch some TV then head off to bed.

          I had been working for the new company for a month now and it still seemed like I was stressed to the max each night when I came home. Not only was work stressful but I noticed that I was gaining weight due to all the take out and junk food I was pouring into my body each night. My head was pounding from all the added stress so I made my way to the bathroom to find some medicine to help relieve the pain. Opening the medicine cabinet my box of tampons fell out and I quickly picked them up off the floor and shoved them back in the box; I was about to set them back on the shelf when a thought came to mind, when was the last time I had my period?