Chapter One

Elena Benton

          This was it; today was my last day at home before I set off onto my new journey. I had spent the last four years getting my accounting degree; thanks to my dads connections I was offered an internship at ‘Stronghold Corporation’ in California. I knew how lucky I was to have such a great opportunity given to me. I just couldn’t believe that this was all really happening.

          I grew up in a small town in southern Illinois. My father is a pastor; my mother stayed at home to take care of my brother and me. My brother John is older than me and left home when I was sixteen; he became a lawyer and lives in Chicago. Now it was my chance to go out into the world and make something of myself. At first I thought it would be hard to leave home but now I found myself ready to explore the world and be free for once in my life.

          I wasn't allowed to date through high school; thanks to my wonderful father and over protective brother. During college if I wasn't in school or studying, I was working; I didn't have time to date. I'm Twenty-One years old and the most I have done with a guy is one drunken new years kiss in college. Yes, I was definitely in serious need of a taste of the real world. I pulled my long blonde hair up into a loose bun and took one last look into my blue eyes in the mirror.

"This is the last day of being Elena Benton 'the preacher’s daughter', tomorrow I will be Elena Benton 'the independent and free woman'." I said out loud before turning and heading downstairs.

          I ate breakfast with my mom before we headed to church. After the service we had a small gathering as a going away party for me. By the time we got home that night I was exhausted; I knew that I had to get up early in the morning and headed off to bed. The next morning I packed the last few things in my suitcase and headed downstairs to meet my parents. I had a quick cup of coffee and we headed to the airport.

"I'm proud you of you Eli. This will be a great experience for you." My father said from the front seat; I could see my mother next to him wiping her cheeks, no doubt crying already.

"Thanks dad. I'm excited to see what the rest of the world is like." I said staring out the window at the approaching airport. My stomach started to tighten and get butterflies; I don't know if I was more nervous or excited.

          We made our way through the crowds at the airport until I was at my check in. My parents wished me well and we said our good byes. I tried to make the goodbye as fast as I could; my mom was already starting to cry uncontrollably by the time I left. As I got comfortable in my seat I went over some of the information I had prepared for my new job. The fact that I was going to intern for a multi-billion dollar company had my stomach in knots. If everything worked out this would be great experience to list on my resume.

          It was a good flight, no turbulence or surprises. I arrived at the Holiday Inn just after 7:00 P.M. It wasn't a fancy hotel, but it really wasn't that bad; it was clean at least. I had worked through college and managed to save up about seven thousand dollars. It seems like a lot but when you have to pay for your hotel and food and everything else while you work 8 hours a day for no pay as an intern; I knew that money was going to go fast. I hung up my suits in the small closet and took out my bathroom stuff. After making sure everything was in the right place for the morning I set my alarm and drifted off to sleep.