Chapter Eight

The next month went by quickly; while I still spent most of my time in my room I now at least had all my meals with the others in the dining room. Mikko and I talked every now and then but most of the talks just ended up in an argument; he wanted to get back together and I still had trust issues with him. He was trying to gain my trust back, I will give him that much; he rarely left the house other than to go to work and when he was home he tried his best to spend time with me even though I was reluctant to spend time with him.

          I had weekly appointments with Dr. Phillips who I learned lived in the house with us just a few doors down from me; the baby was growing fast and my pregnancy still showed no signs of anything going wrong. The longer I was pregnant the better the chances were of the baby surviving; I was only technically four months along but my body resembled that of someone who was at least six months pregnant. I could no longer hide the fact that I was carrying a baby no matter what type of clothes I chose to wear; not that it really bothered me I enjoyed seeing my belly and it seemed like the other inhabitants of the house enjoyed it too.

          There were about twenty other people that lived in the mansion with us but we always had a constant flow of visitors; I learned from Kane and Mikko that most of them were other members of their ‘pack’ and lived close by. It was odd being part of a pack, it was like one big extended family; I really missed my family even though I talked to them on the phone at least once a week, I knew that was soon to change though once I broke the news to them that I was pregnant. Kane had tried to talk me into telling them multiple times but every time I thought that I had the courage to break the news I would chicken out the second that I heard their voices on the other line of the phone.

          Knowing that I didn’t have much longer, only two months, until the baby was born I decided that I needed to suck it up and let them know. I still wasn’t sure exactly how I was going to break the news to them and I had been stressing out about it all morning; after a long talk with Mikko we decided that it would be best if we had the conversation over skype and he said that he would be there with me for support. As the minutes ticked by counting down to the time we had set for my parents to log on and chat I paced the room back and forth until Mikko finally got fed up with it and pulled me to sit down in the chair next to him; the familiar ding of the computer letting me know my parents had entered the chat had my breath catching in my throat, I can only imagine the look on my face was one that resembled a deer in headlights.

“Hi Eli!” my mother greeting as she waved to the camera; my father wasn’t showing on the screen and I had to wonder if he opted out of the conversation.

“Hey mom.” I said back looking down at the keyboard.

“Is everything alright dear? You look… upset about something.” She paused trying to find the right words to explain how I looked; I knew what I looked like, I looked terrified and stressed to the max.

“Umm, yeah, everything’s fine.” I lied.

“Ok, who is that?” my mom asked pointing her finger at the screen; I looked over forgetting for a moment that Mikko was by my side.

“Oh sorry, Mom this is Mikko, Mikko this is my mother.” I did the introductions.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Mrs. Benton.” Mikko greeted my mother in a friendly tone.