Chapter 1: Hell Has Frozen Over

"Wake up!!! Now!!!! PLEASE!!!"

I barely open my eyes to see Preston shaking me. I groan and throw a pillow at him. Why was he waking me up? He knows I'm not a morning person.

"Zara Meghan!!!" Preston throws me off the bed.

Now I'm angry.

I get off the floor and push him hard. "WHAT?!! WHAT THE HELL IS SO IMPORTANT???!!!!"

His expression softens. "Phone's for you, it's the cops."

He woke me up for a phone call? What a brother I- WAIT THE COPS???

"Preston James Rose what the hell did you do?" I ask as I back him against the wall. My little brother once got caught for drinking at a party, so this worries me.

"Nothing! Now get off me!" He removes the duct tape off the mic on the phone (something he does when a call comes for me in the morning) and hands it to me. I gesture with my hand for him to shoo and he leaves without complaint.

"Hello?"

"Miss Rose?" The voice on the other end asks

"Yes, that's me."

"I'm so sorry but I have some...devestating news."

I soon become alarmed. "What? What happened?"

" Are your parents Christopher and Diana Rose?"

"Yes. Why?"

"We found them in their car. Assumptions conclude that they crashed into an electric pole, and the car burst into flames."

"Oh my god! Are they okay?"

"That's the thing, we didn't get there in time."

A lump formes in my throat and prevents me from speaking. A tear begins to race down my cheek. I finally am able to speak again. "What happened to them?" My voice is cracking.

"They're dead, I'm sorry."

My mouth gapes open and I lower the telephone.

"Miss Rose? Zara? Zara Rose?"

I put it back to my ear. "Yes?"

"We're sending an officer to check in on you. Nobody is to leave the house. Alright?"

I can't make words. "Mmm-hmm."

"Any relatives you can think of that can take care of you for the next few days?"

"Mmm-hmm" My voice is cracking and squeaky but I try to say, "My uncle, Ashton Holmes."

Ashton is twenty-three and fresh out of college. The rest of our small family is dead. Ashton now lives in a town called Mystic Falls with a job at a local news station. Mystic Falls is not too far away from our own small town of Grove Hill.

"Alright, I'll give your uncle a call. I'm truly sorry Zara."

It was Officer Daltz, the brother of old friend of my dad's. Why did it take me until now to realize that?

"I'm going to hang up now. Okay?"

"Uh-huh."

Click. I hang up and finally brake out in tears. After about ten minutes of crying I decide to break the news to Preston. This is all happening so fast. Yesterday I had been talking to my parents about school, raising my curfew, about how annoying Preston was, and now they're dead? I nearly pinch myself. I open the door and race down stairs.

"Preston?"

His voice surfaces. "What?"

"Can you come here for a sec?"

He walks in from the kitchen. "Are you okay?

I run to him and hug him. "Pres I'm so sorry."

"Zare, what's wrong?"

I start to cry. "Mom and Dad, this morning, they..... they......"

Preston grips me. "ZARA!!"

"They were driving and the car.....the car went.....electric pole....fire....gone." That's all I can say, but I'm pretty sure he gets the message. We cry together to the next few minutes until a knock comes at the door. I walk to the door to open it, and a female officer is on the other side.

"Zara Rose?"

"Yes, please come in."

She steps inside the house, taking in our orphaned home.

We spend the next few hours together, grieving over the loss (with the officer watching our every move) until Ashton knocks on the door.

I race to open the door then start crying as I embrace him.

"It's okay, it's going to be okay." He tells me.

But how can it be? The people who meant most to me and my brother are gone, forever, never to be seen again.

It's official, hell has frozen over.

________________________________________________________________________________

Please cut me some slack, it's my first story. I hope you like it! This chapter's pick is of Zara. Soundtrack for this chapter is Skyscraper by Demi Lovato.