Chapter 2: New Home, New Life

"May they both rest in peace."

When the funeral is over, Ashton takes us back to the house, where everybody in town comes over and tells us what good people they were for the next two hours. When the last of them leave, Ash tells us to grab the last of what we've packed. Because of his contract, he has to stay with the news station for the rest of the year, so until January, this would probably be the last I would see of this house.

My memories haunt me as I walk up the staircase into my room. Before I start to finish packing I change out of  my outfit  and decide that I need a new image, my classic rocker chick look dosen't fit me anymore. I can't be the girl who's parents played Journey and Kansas when they were little instead of lullabies and Itsy-Bitsy Spider, who's favorite song was Get Off My Cloud, the kid who said Mick Jagger when the initials M.J. were mentioned. No. Not anymore. That was the old Zara Rose, the girl who had both parents, an annoying younger brother, and the perfect life. I'm the opposite of that. I'm the new Zara Rose, the girl who lost her parents, a heartbroken younger brother, and a dark life. Yes, that's who I'm to become,  the old me was created by my parents people who can't help me anymore, the new me will be created by me, my choice me rules.

I change into the farthest thing I have from the old Zara Rose and pack up the last four boxes. When everything's in the car (us included), Ash looks at Pres then to me in the backseat. "I know a little place we can go to get our minds off things." He says and with that, we're driving out of the driveway.

Elena's P.O.V.

Stefan I walk into the Grill to see Damon and Matt playing pool. Stefan grabs my hand and I see Bonnie and Caroline waiting for me.Damon's eyeing Stefan and me, more to Stefan than to me. I release his hand  and look into those loving eyes.

"Go talk to him. You two haven't spoken since you turned your emotions back on." 

He hesitates. "Elena...."

"Go. Now. If you don't I will never look at you again." I say.

"Was that a threat?" he asks and raises an eyebrow.

"Maybe, now go. I'm serious Stefan, go." I give him a push and he walks on, me giving him "the stare".

I walk on to the girls, hopefully about to receive new news on Klaus and his hybrids.

Zara's P.O.V.

"Here we are." Ashton says when we arrive at a place called, The Mystic Grill. We get out and Ash leads us inside. I begin to walk in another direction once inside.

"Where are you going?" Ash asks me.

"The bathroom.....?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Fine, just be back soon." I nod and walk off.

Elena's P.O.V.

The three of us are talking when Caroline suddenly breaks off our conversation. "Is that Ashton Holmes?"

I turn around "Yeah so?"

Bonnie sighs. "You didn't hear? His sister just died. His niece and nephew are moving in with him."

I'm stunned. "Oh my god, how'd they die?"

"Car crash."

Caroline looks up for a second, then says, "That sounds an awful lot like Jenna. Losing his sister, taking in the sister's kids, living in this cursed town."

Bonnie slaps Caroline's arm. "CAROLINE!!"

"Sorry Elena."

"It's fine, you have a point Caroline."

"Well I'm going to introduce myself to that cute boy he's with."Caroline says and starts to get up.

"Caroline!" Bonnie cries out again, but Caroline's already beginning to walk to their table. We follow close behind, ready to call her out on anything she might say.

"Hi Ashton!" she says.

He smiles. "Hello Caroline, how are you?"

"Fine, how about you?" she asks and Bonnie elbows her in the ribs, but it's too late.

"I'm holding up."

"Look, we're really sorry for your loss." She says.

"Thank you Caroline." he looks over the boy sitting next to him. "I'm sorry. Girls, this is my nephew Preston Rose, his sister's around here somewhere. Preston, this is Caroline Forbes, Bonnie Bennett, and Elena Gilbert." We all give indications on who we are as he says our names."Caroline's mother is the town's sheriff, Bonnie's grandmother was a teacher at the college, and Elena's aunt just happens to be my ex girlfriend from high school " He turns to me. "How is she anyway?."

I look down and straight up lie. "She's fine, she's studying abroad now."

"That's good. Is she still dating Logan Fell?"

I lie yet again. "No, they broke up, I heard he moved out of town after she dumped him."

Ashton Holmes laughs. "That's Jenna Sommers all right. Never afraid to break a heart. Junior year that girl had me crying myself to sleep for a week " He turns to his nephew, who nods and smiles.

Ashton and Caroline talk until Caroline gets a text telling us to meet at the boarding house. "I'm sorry, we have to go. It was nice seeing you Ashton, and nice meeting you Preston." We leave in a rush.

Zara's P.O.V.

I return to see a blonde head running out the door. I find the booth the boys picked out and I sit across from the boys, with my back to the entire Grill. We eat and leave, then later I hit the clothing store and buy "New Zara" stuff. Then I get a new haircut, and return to Ashton's place. I head up to the new bedroom and put my clothes away. I play with my ring, the ring my parents gave me when I turned thirteen. They said it was made in the Renaissance, and that it's a family heirloomI  tear up remembering what it meant to my parents and take it off. I slam it on the nightstand and throw myself on top of the bed. I begin crying. I feel so empty inside. And I fall asleep that way, curled up in a ball, all empty inside. crying in the bedroom, my bedroom. My home, my life. Correction: New home, new life.

______________________________________________________________________

Chapter Two.  This chapter's pic is of Preston, and the soundtrack is Tell Me That You Love Me by Victoria Justice (I thought it would fit, especially since Zara is portrayed by Victoria Justice, I originally had A thousand Miles planned, but there was no VD video of the song by Victioria). I hope you like it.