Chapter 16a: It's Like Breaking Your Own Heart

~*Edited to my liking*~

Friday January 13

"We're home!"

"Hey, Emma." Jacob says from the living room.

Anna, Joey, Michael, and Jamie are at their job. Anna and Michael work at Depot Diner that's in town. Jamie and Joey work in a retail store called Belk. I work at O'Reilly's and Jacob got a job at Game Stop. All four of our jobs are in Greenwood, South Carolina, which is one town over.

Sarah runs past me and throws her stuff on the dining table. She then heads out to the back door of the kitchen.

"Sarah. Where are you going?"

She stops at the doorway. "Outside."

"Why?"

"I'm going to play with JuJu."

I stop walking. "Sarah, you can't go outside."

"Why not?" She furrows her eyebrows.

"I don't want you to see JuJu anymore."

"But he's my friend." Her eyes begin to water.

"Sarah, I'm serious. I don't trust him and I don't want you near him."

"But--"

"No buts!! Now go do your homework."

Sarah is crying, but she does as she's told. She grabs her backpack and goes up to her room.

After hearing her door close, I feel my eyes water. I blink as much as I can to keep the tears from falling. Making Sarah cry is the most painful thing I've ever done.

"You had to do it." Jacob says behind me.

I turn around to look at him. "Then why do I feel so crappy right now?"

Jacob sighs and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Part of being a mom is being tough on your kid even if it hurts."

My eyes get watery again. Jacob pulls me into a hug and I wrap my arms around his back.

"She'll understand when she's older." I nod.

I hold him tightly imprinting those words into my brain. Jacob was right. Sarah is too young to understand why I'm keeping her from Jason.

It's strange that Jacob is being so understanding. Usually when one of the girls cry, he rolls his eyes and leaves. But after finding Lizzie, Jacob has become more respectful. It may be weird, but it's a lot better than the way Michael has been acting.

I told the pack about Sarah and Jason. Since then Michael has become overprotective of me and Sarah. He's bought surveillance cameras and extra locks for the doors. Every night, he goes around to make sure every door and window is locked. I kept having to remind him that I'm the alpha and that I don't need a chaperone to go to work. I think him being a soon-to-be father is really getting him paranoid. 

 Jacob pulls away. "You hungry? Jamie said she's going to bring pizza."

"No. I'm not that hungry."

I run my hand through my hair. 'I"m just going to do my homework."

Jacob nods his head. I grab my bag and books and go up to my room. I throw everything on the bed and go back to close my door. Then I decide to check on Sarah.

"Sarah?" I knock on the door as I open it.

Sarah is at her desk. I hear her sniffling.

"Sarah." I walk inside and stop halfway.