The Name and the Altar

Names

Names. Some people believed they held meaning beyond being the primary method to get someone's attention. Some even believed names influenced people's lives, guiding them into fulfilling the name's meaning. Sunset Shimmer didn't believe in any of that nonsense. It was mere coincidence that her true love's name was a near synonym for her own.

"How could we have missed this?!" Twilight Sparkle panicked. There was no buttering up the term. She was simply panicked. She only adjusted her glasses so many times when she was deeply worried. The fact that she had put them on in the first place without needing them was testament enough to that.

The obsessive bookworm was pacing back and forth rapidly in the church's back room. Thankfully for Sunset Shimmer, they were alone for the moment. It was usually easier to calm Twilight down when they were alone because Sunset could force her fiancée to focus only on her. Of course, Sunset was as calm as she had ever been.

Arms folded, one eyebrow raised, and legs crossed on the room's only sofa, the once-bully-now-peace-advocate took a deep breath. Why did everyone else have to lose their cool when she didn't? It used to be the other way around.

"We have to figure this out before the rehearsal in fifteen minutes! How can we have a serious multiple-presentation discussion about something as important as our surnames in less than fifteen minutes?!"

"Simple," Sunset's carefree tone was like a light in the darkness. "We don't have a rehearsal."

"What?!" Twilight raised her panic to roof-level extremes. "No rehearsal?!"

Sunset got up from her seat while Twilight's eyes dilated and her breathing became short and ragged. Having been friends for a long time and then fiancées meant that Sunset had a solid grasp of how to deal with her love's little episodes. This time, however, she scrapped known solutions and went right for the gold.

Twilight was forced to switch her focus from her panic attack to her future wife's lips, which had just collided with hers. Sunset was slightly taller, so she had to wrap her arms around Twilight and lift her up a bit for the kiss to work. The plan succeeded, though. Twilight's rigid form relaxed as she melted into the other girl's loving embrace. Their current privacy only encouraged Sunset to turn up the kiss from chaste and reserved to fiery and passionate.

Neither of them had dressed in their wedding gowns for the rehearsal, so Twilight was sporting a knee-length purple skirt with a dark blue blouse accented in just the right way to blend nicely with the rest of her attire. Her plain black flats did little to help her height difference with Sunset, who often opted for her signature purple-crested black boots. Those same boots had a decent amount of space on the heels, which gave Sunset nearly half her current height advantage over Twilight.

Their kiss had yet to end. Sunset was pressing into Twilight with an almost mad heat. The bookworm began to bend backwards as Sunset leaned over her and rubbed her back in a soothing motion. When they finally parted, it was with gasps of breath and flushed faces.