Next Generation

I do also very much want to know," Rarity said with a flip of her hand, "if the baby will have red hair or blue

I do also very much want to know," Rarity said with a flip of her hand, "if the baby will have red hair or blue."

Rainbow Dash burst out laughing.

The old group of friends was packed into the Shimmers' apartment home minus the Shimmers themselves. The whole situation was more than a little chaotic, but the group was managing to stay lighthearted all the same. Applejack and Pinkie Pie were even in the kitchen making some baked goods as both a distraction and a celebration.

"I would have loved to see the baby today, though," Fluttershy pouted on the sofa where she was sitting with her legs curled up against her.

"There there," Rarity patted her on the shoulder since she was sitting right next to her, posture much more poised and "lady-like" as she would call it. "Twilight must be exhausted by now and Sunset will be unnerved. We should give them space even if this Easyglider has kept us from the hospital."

Rainbow Dash splayed out her cards on the coffee table. She was sitting on the floor opposite of Rarity and bore a proud grin. Her cards revealed she won against the fashioista. Badly.

Rarity's poise softened and a tick formed at the edge of her mouth. "Blackjack really is an uncouth game of chance."

"Says the loser," Rainbow smirked.

"Whoa there, Bessy," Applejack waved a spatula at Rainbow from the kitchen. "Best not be spoilin' the good will here. We don't need no Sunset comin' home to more jittered nerves."

Spike barked his agreement and then hopped onto Rarity's lap. The fashionista pet him to calm both him as well as herself.

"And it's still summer too!" Pinkie Pie enthused between licking the empty mixing bowl and watching the cupcakes in the oven rise. "You know what they say about summer babies!"

Everyone else in the room looked at her as if she were an alien lifeform. It was a situation the party girl was quite used to and, in fact, enjoyed greatly.

"Whaaaat?" she pretended to be just as confused.

Applejack shook her head and continued. "Anyway, point is we need to give Sunset all the support she needs. And Twilight too whenever we get to see her."

"I suppose that means no fun and games," Rainbow set her head against the coffee table.

"Is it just me or has Rainbow Dash become more perceptive with age?" Rarity looked to Fluttershy.

The timid girl fidgeted and nodded without a word, giving a feeling of the old days of the gang. Fluttershy had matured perhaps even more than the rest of them, now in their twenties. She wasn't shy in the way she used to be and only moments like this reflected her past self – moments where she used her timidity to be tactful. In this case, to prevent a possible dig against Rainbow.