Chapter 30

BRIDGETTE

He could just say he didn’t want to see me again. It would have been understandable enough.

I was mentally shooting daggers at him and if we were not inside a descending metal box, I would have already tackled him to the ground and drag him down the street.

“You’re not a nurse, right? You should leave your job,” he uttered once again.

My leg was ready to give him a kick right on the groin when I realized what his words meant. His gaze was no longer blank or cold. In fact, he was looking down at me with amusement that his lips sort of twitched as my eyes widened in surprise. “Scott, you believe--”

“Believe you? Yes, I guess, I do,” he finished for me without moving.

The elevator dinged. We both turned when the door started to slide open.

“We’re full,” Scott said to the nurse who was just about ready to walk in. He took a step and pushed the button and the doors closed. When we were alone once again, he turned to me. “But I’m telling you, it has been difficult.”

My mouth had fallen open and my eyes were suddenly filled with tears. He believed me! “But--”

“What do you mean ‘but’?” he asked with a frown. “You wanted me to believe you, right?”

Without second thoughts, I vigorously nodded my head, the tears falling down my face.

“So--“ he started to say but the ding came once again and the doors started to open. This time, I was the one pushing the button.

“We’re doing a maintenance check. Use the other one,” I told the female doctor.

“But--” she started to say but the doors closed on her.

“You were saying?” I asked Scott.

“So,” he said with an amused look as he took a step toward me. “How do you get back?”

I blinked. For a second I didn’t know what he meant. When my brain finally registered his message, I shrugged. “I don’t know. We don’t have any idea.” I looked at him with eagerness. “We met this weird girl in a weird bookstore and she told us how to get back to our own bodies but it required a vague sacrifice we cannot even figure out what it really means. We’re still as trapped as we were since the accident.” Fear had come surging right back. Yes, Scott had finally decided I was telling the truth. But that didn’t mean he was still willing to be with me. It didn’t mean that he believed I believe what I was saying, but that it might not actually be the case. For all I knew, he was thinking I was actually crazy and that he understood why I believed something unimaginable.

But the gaze he was fixing me was saying the opposite. I knew he still cared for me and that he might want to be with me. So why was I still afraid?

“Then I guess we’ll figure it out together,” he finally said after a while.

More tears rolled down my face. “Are you sure you’re ready for it?” I asked. “I mean I might be stuck in this body for a while and this is not me.”

“You are who you are inside,” he shrugged as he said it. “And you’re still the Cara--”

“Bridgette, please. I am Bridgette.”

“Sorry,” he cringed. “Bridgette.” He took the remaining steps toward me. “That will take a lot of getting used to,” he said as his head bent down to my face.

Just as when my dream to make out in an elevator was about to happen, the elevator gave its final ding. A small groan escaped my lips when I realized we reached the ground floor.