Chapter 16

CARA

I wanted to take more time to hear what Natalie had to say, but she and her friend were talking in a much lower volume and giggling at the same time. I finally decided to walk over to them with a smile.

“Hi!”

Natalie was the first to look up and her smile widened. “Bridgette! It’s so nice of you to come. Meet Tess. She’s my maid of honor.”

I looked at the red-haired girl and I had to wonder if it was her natural color. She looked at me from head to foot, her blue eyes travelling over my body--Bridgette’s body. She must have liked what she saw--or what I wore--for she smiled and held out her hand.

I shook it fast and I took the seat right next to Natalie.

The next few minutes were spent making small talks. I just nodded and smiled whenever I couldn’t understand their words, mostly about fashion and high-end brands. I didn’t care about those things but I supposed Bridgette did.

“So, what do you have in plan?” It was Natalie. She looked at me while her forefinger toyed with her blond curls.

“What?”

“I mean about the wedding. Have you come up with something yet?”

I shook my head. I will need more time.

“That’s fine. I actually called you for a great favor. I know you are very fashionable and I will need your help on something.”

“What is it?”

“Tess and I will go out to find the perfect dress.”

“A wedding dress?”

“Of course, what else?” said Tess, rolling her eyes with a laugh.

I wanted to grab a bunch of her hair and drag her out of the room. But I shook that thought away. Only Bridgette would do such a thing.

“Sure,” I answered, finding no reason to refuse. Keep the client happy.

I spent the rest of the day walking from store to store with Natalie and Tess. They were looking for a gown, but they were easily distracted with other things such as jewelries, shoes, bags, dresses, nail polish and others. But after wasting a lot of hours walking and driving around, we finally entered the right store.

“It’s too cheap,” Tess commented on the first dress Natalie tried.

Quinn’s fiancée pouted her lips. “Aaw…it looks good on me. But you’re right. People will know I’m wearing a cheap dress.”

I agree it looked good on her. But I didn’t agree that the dress was cheap. God, it cost almost half a year of my income put together!

The more I spent time with them, the more I grew to despise them. How could Quinn end up with a girl like Natalie? She obviously didn’t care much about him as she was of his money.

“You look great in that,” Tess commented when her friend came out with a big dress that bared her shoulders.

“Yes,” I agreed, desperate to go home.

“Really? Do you think the guests will admire it?”

She was asking the wrong questions. Why couldn’t she ask whether or not Quinn would love it?

“It looks great, really,” I added to push her to just say yes.

“Oh well…” she sighed, turning around to look at herself in the mirror. “I guess I’ll come by to get it when I don’t find another good one next time.”