Chapter 6

CARA

“No!” I hissed at Bridgette. That moment, I didn’t care if I was looking at myself. She chose to wear my dark brown hair around her shoulders so it was flying everywhere as the wind blew by, rustling the dry leaves on the ground. “I am not facing Quinn Carter.”

“Cara, in case you forgot, you are in my body and I have met Quinn just a week ago. We planned his wedding together and we were civilized individuals. Don’t make a big deal out of this.” She raised her brow and studied me. “Or maybe you still have wounds to heal?”

“I don’t have—”

She raised one hand and turned away from me. “I don’t want to hear your story with Quinn. I place everything in the past now.”

I snorted. “Yeah, right. Says the woman who chased me across the street, in the rain, screaming words of how I ruined her high school.”

“It was the alcohol.”

“It was your subconscious not getting over what happened—what you did.”

“I didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Yeah, right.” I started walking down the street.

“Where are you going? You still have to go to that meeting!”

“I am not going anywhere! What I am going to do is find someone who can bring me back to my body!”

“Well, fine! If you are going somewhere, I guess I can too.”

I stopped. There was something in her tone that made me suspect she was planning something.

When I turned around to face her, she smiled. Her arms were crossed on her chest. She decided to wear my old teal shirt which I only wore once because it showed too much of my shoulders. She paired it with faded blue jeans and brown boots. “I’m going to start doing things you wouldn’t like me to.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“No, but I just want you to know that I can…” she dropped her arms at her sides and I saw myself walking towards me. I cringed. I didn’t like the way Bridgette used my legs and my hips. “I am asking you to do this one for me because I need it, okay? I desperately need this project for reasons I cannot tell you.”

I did not say anything. I heard desperation in her voice. She really needed this. And I really needed her to behave for my own sake and for the safety of my own body. If I wanted her to cooperate, I thought that doing what she wanted was the best idea. Even though it meant dealing with Quinn Carter.

BRIDGETTE

I was not sure if Cara was going to do okay but for the sake of my career, I had to do everything possible.

“This is what you have to do. You need to go to my office, grab everything my secretary hands you, study them and then go to the meeting.”

“How about you?”

“I’ll be with you in the office. My secretary won’t ask questions because she’s not paid to do so. But I don’t think it would be a good idea if Quinn would see me,” I motioned at the body I was currently in, “as you. It would only bring back bad memories.” Cara looked at me pointedly. “What?”

She continued to look at me with those gray eyes of mine. “Okay, if we’re going to do this, you we have to make a deal. I need you to shut up about what happened ten years ago. We have to think about now.”

I looked at her. I couldn’t let go of everything that happened in the past even if I wanted to. I had lost a lot since then and I wanted to show her that. But if I wanted to do so, I would also show a lot of my vulnerabilities so I said, “Yes, fine. If you don’t bring it up either.”