Chapter 4

CARA

Both of us screamed and before I knew it, I was in Lorraine’s arms and I started to slump down the floor. The familiar darkness started to engulf my sight once again and before my eyes shut close, I saw myself—my body—screaming at the top of her lungs and then that faded too along with everything else.

By the time I regained consciousness, I was back in bed. Lorraine was regarding me with concern and I would have been thankful if she was really my sister. If only she knew that she was looking at the woman who was her sister’s enemy. If only she could see…

And then it dawned on me again. Me looking at my own face, me screaming at my own face. I sat upright on bed, the c-collar restricting any head motion. I looked around the room. Lorraine almost jumped to her feet but she was able to recover fast and placed two firm hands over my shoulders.

“Bridgette, you should really calm down.”

“Where is she?”

“She’s in her own room, resting. She passed out a few seconds after you did. Dr. Stein said that the two of you must have some sort of psychological trauma after everything that happened.” Her voice was too gentle it helped ease down my anxiety.

But every time I remembered my face when I looked in that mirror, when I saw my face on someone else’s, panic rose up my throat. I had to do something. I had to go to Bridgette.

“Who is she?” Lorraine asked, sitting on the bed beside me. When she realized that she was still holding my shoulders, she took it back in an instant and looked away. “Do you know her? Why was she with you during the accident?”

“I…” I didn’t know what to say. Of course I could tell her that that lady was me but inside was her sister, my high school enemy, the woman who ruined everything I could have had ten years ago. “She’s a friend,” I decided to answer. Now that the medication has finally worn off and I could speak normally, I wanted to cry. I was not hearing my voice but Bridgette’s.

God, what is happening? Am I going insane?

I knew I had to see her. I had to talk to her.

BRIDGETTE

Dr. Pohl was talking to the man in checkered polo shirt. They looked serious speaking in low voices.

“Oh my God…I’m crazy, am I? I am having delusions…” I cried out. Oh shit, I did not even sound like me. My voice as soft and I just freaking realized it.

The two men turned and looked at me lying on the bed.

“Sweetheart, please calm down. Why did you get out of your room?”

“Where is she?” I demanded. “Where is she?”

“Do you mean Ms. Finn? She’s in her room, resting. You both had…” I knew Dr. Pohl was looking for the right word. “You are both traumatized,” he managed to say. “I suggest you both take it slow. You can meet Ms. Finn when the time is right—when you don’t have to scream and faint upon seeing each other.”

That was the moment that I realized I was also screaming—no, that the person inside my body was also screaming. She must also feel the same thing as I did. Dr. Pohl’s words gave me reassurance that Cara did not do anything stupid. I couldn’t have her take my body somewhere else such as the psych ward.

CARA

I tried to think of ways on how I ended up inside Bridgette’s body. I wanted to look through a mirror once again, but most part of me objected because of fear. I was still in denial and I didn’t want to see proof.