Chapter 20

BRIDGETTE

“What are you doing here?” I asked without thinking. Of Course, he was there to see the patient.

He seemed confused at first but when he saw Cara on the bed with that gorgeous face of mine but he managed to square his shoulders and uttered, “It seems that nurse Cara doesn’t know why a doctor enters a patient’s room. How are the vitals?” he asked me and I started to stammer.

“She just actually told me that everything is normal apart from my pulse.”

I nodded. “Her pulse is a little bit faster.”

Dr. Newman nodded, looked at me once and focused his attention on the patient as he started to walk near the bed. As he did so, my feet led me to the door.

“Wait here for a while. I will need the chart.”

I glared at his back but did not dare come near him.

This would be a very challenging night for me.

CARA

I was not interested with Dr. Newman’s questions. I was not honest either. Of course my heartbeat was higher than normal because I was very nervous we would be found out. But who would ever think I was the real Cara?

Having Dr. Newman in the same room with Bridgette was weird. I couldn’t imagine how she could stay composed after everything that happened between the two of them.

I could feel his eyes looking at my face--or should I say, Bridgette’s face. If he found Bridgette’s face attractive enough to interest him, then they may actually work. But what was I thinking? I should focus on the task at hand and make Dr. Newman’s task easy and fast.

After a long talk about my problem which was not very alarming to be admitted in the cardiac department, he finally exited the room.

“You have to clean the patient’s tracheotomy,” I told Bridgette the moment we were alone.

“What? Are you crazy?”

“It is necessary. It is to prevent the stasis of mucus and infection to set in.”

“How am I going to do that?”

It was difficult for me because I should be teaching it to her in the presence of the patient. But we had no choice. “Just google it.”

Bridgette groaned. “I don’t know, Cara. It seems impossible for me.”

I looked at her pointedly. “I risked a lot coming here. People even think I’m crazy. So do what I say before they transfer me to the psych ward.”

“Fine.” She was already tapping on her phone to search for the right way to care for a tracheotomy site.

“And don’t you dare flirt with Dr. Newman again.”

“I made a promise, didn’t I? I am staying away from him as much as I can.”

“Good.”

She walked out of the room to do everything I said. I was just putting away my phone when it rang.

“Yes?” I answered curiously. The number was not saved on Bridgette’s phone so I assumed it must have been one of her contacts. But who would call at this hour? Maybe it was Quinn?

“Hey, Bridgette. It’s me, Todd.”

“Todd!” I uttered in relief. And then alarm sipped in. “Is something wrong?”

“No, nothing. It’s just that I asked Bernadette out.”

“And?”

“And I think I need your help. Has she talked to you lately?”