Chapter 13

BRIDGETTE

I was still wearing my triumphant smile as I walked out to the parking lot and to Cara’s car which, for the moment, I had to consider as my own. The sun was hot today and I forgot to wear my sunscreen. I loaded the shopping bags at the back of the SUV and quickly climbed behind the wheel.

Wondering what could have happened to Cara, I dialed my number and waited for her to answer, tapping my foot on the gas pedal.

The call was accepted but there was no ‘hello’.

“Cara?” I asked.

I heard a catch of breath and rolled my eyes. I’d heard Cara cry over the phone a lot of times years ago.

“Cara, what the hell happened? What did Quinn do this time?” Really, that guy better learn how to let go. If someone was bitter, it was him. Cara had always been soft, a big weakness. Why couldn’t Quinn just freaking be professional?

“I’m sorry, Bridgette. It just happened,” Cara said between sobs.

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“I told him. I told him about our secret.”

I felt blood draining down my face, my neck and down to my feet. “What?!”

CARA 

I was still sobbing as I walked away from the coffee shop.

I held Bridgette’s phone to my ear, my head furiously looking around for somewhere to sit. I remembered I left the car in the parking space outside the shop and I was afraid to go back and get it. I couldn’t stand another chance of seeing Quinn.

“What the hell!” Bridgette was screaming in my ear.

“Don’t shout, please. Don’t shout. I’m…I want this to be over! I want it to be over!” I desperately cried. For the first time in my life, I wanted to lash out and let the world know that there was one lady trapped inside someone else’s body.

“Cara, calm down,” Bridgette said, lowering her voice.

I gulped down my tears.

“You told him everything? Everything?”

I nodded as I said, “Yes.”

“How did he take it?”

“He doesn’t believe me. He thinks I’m crazy.”

“Of course he wouldn’t believe you, you idiot. I wouldn't if I am not in the same situation! Get back and tell him you were just playing with him.”

“That’s what he was already thinking.”

“What the hell, Cara. Why do you have to be so damned frail?”

“I told him he can find another planner.”

“Of course you did! Do you know you just ruined my career? I’m almost broke and you ruined the only chance I have to get back on track!”

The tears stopped flowing. “You’re broke?”

“Almost. Now, go back there and tell him he better be professional, the contract was signed and he could still have his happy ending as long as he keeps his mouth shut.”

“I can’t. I can’t face him.”

A very long silence followed and when Bridgette finally spoke, she said, “Wait for me. Tell me where you are right now.”

BRIDGETTE

I drove as fast as I could. I didn’t pay attention to the furious honks thrown at me by the cars I passed by. If I met an accident, it would have been better. I might just get the chance to go back to my own body.