Part 28 - No Strings Attached

B. X

******************************************************************************

Riccardo's P.O.V.

Two months later

"She's okay, Rick," September sighed, closing the bedroom door behind her, "She just doesn't want to talk right now..."

"I'm beginning to think she wants a divorce... but two failed marriages by the age of 29 does not seem like the greatest idea. I love her September, I promise you, I do. I just... Damn I don't know what to say to her anymore! I love her more than anything but anytime I try to get close she pulls away like she's scared. I understand what's happened to her, but I'm her husband for goodness sake, I'd never hurt her! Looks like divorce may be on the cards after all."

"Oh God, no! She doesn't want a divorce. Truth be told, she thought you were going to divorce her. Something about being used goods."

I gasped, "Dios Mio, why the hell would she think I'd want to divorce her through no fault of her own! All I want to do is protect her. I've failed once but I sure as hell won't fail again."

She nodded solemnly, "You need to talk to her Rick. She's at her wits' end."

"It's Christmas soon," I replied, "What am I going to do if she doesn't even want to get out of bed? We were meant to do all of this together, trimming the tree, cooking the dinner, but it's like her soul has been sucked from her body..."

"We'll find a way..." she said, "You guys will work it out."

I patted September's shoulder, "Thank you so much September, you don't know how much this means to me. Kimberley hasn't talked in days. I've tried. I even thought about taking her back to the hospital, she's thrown up so many times, I don't know what to do. We've... You know... Once. I managed to convince her, but now... well just when I thought we were going to resolve this..."

"Talk to her now," September said walking down the stairs, "I'll be waiting for your call."

September walked out of the house and shut the door behind her.

The bedroom door creaked as I opened it.

Kimberley was lying in her dressing gown on the bed. After two months, I'd hoped and prayed we'd turn a corner. But just as the shine began to come back to her eyes, she'd retreated again.

I hadn't seen her in days, she had refused to come out of the bedroom. Every time I tried to go into the room, she'd block the door with our furniture...

She looked worse than she had in hospital. The entire colour drained from her eyes. But she still looked so damn beautiful. I wanted to just kiss her, to tell her everything was okay.

I sat on the bed next to her and she didn't say a word.

"Kimberley... are you feeling better? Isn't that nice? September came to see you. Did you have a nice chat?"

"Rick.." she whispered, "I can't do it anymore."

I put my hand on her leg, "What is it Kim? You can't do what?"

"Live...." she sobbed, "Not without.... I didn't think it would be like this, I- I-didn't even want a baby and now it feels like nothing is worth it if I can't give you one."

I cupped her face in my hands, "It's okay Kim.. we'll.... we'll keep trying. We'll have our family. We'll be fine baby... I promise. We'll be fine."

She wiped away her tears, "Do you still love me, Riccardo?"

I raised my eyebrows, "How could I not love you Kim? You're my everything. You're my world. Remember what I said? I'll love you no matter what."

She rested her head on my chest and I wrapped my arms around her, kissing her forehead.