Part 16 : No Strings Attached

Kimberley's P.O.V.

Jeremy opened the door and I slid inside before shutting the door behind me.

"Good evening Mr Alonso." I smiled.

He looked absolutely gorgeous in that stunning navy blue Armani suit and that tie, his cufflinks sparkling in the dark, the pure white cuff visible beneath the edge of his suit. He looked absolutely gorgeous as usual. Sexy as hell. I wanted to just lean over and kis--

He nodded, not looking in my direction for a second, "Miss Scott."

That was strange, he'd never not looked at me before, he didn't even look at my dress, didn't compliment me on my lipstick... nothing... absolutely nothing. My heart sank. What was wrong with him this evening? We had been fine earlier... but now, somehow he was distant, angular, cold. I didn't like this side of my man... he'd only been my man for two days, but we'd been flirting for months, practically a couple. Did he... not want me anymore?

The car journey to wherever the hell we were going was long and awkward. Not a word was said, to me, to Jeremy or to Rick. I wondered what had made him angry, he seemed fine this afternoon, when he kissed me and waved me goodbye. I wondered what had changed in the 8 hours that we had been apart.

Finally the car drew up. We were on Staten Island, near the ferry, I presumed we were going to go across to The Statue of Liberty and we did. The journey took about 20 minutes and even then he was silent. I could see the press in the distance, all of those flashing lights and shouts. How did Rick do this every day? How was I going to do this every day? I was the girlfriend of one of the richest businessmen in the world. But the way Rick was acting, I wouldn't be his girlfriend for much longer...

Had it really been just about the sex?

We got out of the ferry and Rick placed his hand around my waist, still not making eye contact with me. I smiled all the same and finally he looked at me, with those eyes of his, but they were colourless, expressionless, and dead. Somehow, he wasn't the same Rick I knew.

I was scared more than anything, scared that once he got rid of me, he wouldn't be able to be around me anymore, he would leave me and I would lose my job. I'd be alone, penniless in New York. I wanted to be Rick's more than anything in the world. As long as he was with me, I didn't care about my job, or anything else. As long as he was with me... I was complete.

I never knew I would fall this hard... this fast. I love him. With everything that I am...

A guide ushered us to the lift which took us up to Lady Liberty's crown. There was one table, beautifully lain with a cream tablecloth, beautiful shiny cutlery and a single red rose. Rick pulled out my chair and I sat, looking out at the beautiful view of New York.

We sat in silence for a few minutes as the violinist played a romantic tune in the background.

"Look, you haven't said a word to me this whole trip! What's up with you?"

"Nothing," he beamed, his eyes lighting up for the first time, "You look beautiful..."

I looked up at his clumsy smile, "Thank you."

"So what do you think?"

I smiled, "It's breathtaking..."

He reached across the table and lifted my chin slightly with his fingers,

"Like you..."

Silence.

But the silence was a good silence. He looked into my eyes, I looked into his and a saw that spark again, reminding me of the Rick I knew so well. He was back. I breathed sigh of relief. My man was back with me.