Chapter 15

Caldwell said that Piper, Wren, and Jon had to be back by three. It was one by the time that Piper brought them to her next destination. Caldwell hadn't specifically said to not go anywhere, but if he knew where Piper was going, he'd probably advise against it.

Josef had asked Piper to see if she could find anybody who could give evidence to Tobias's death. There are many people who can do this, but only a few could do this to their best ability. But it would be complicated to talk to them considering that Piper had Wren and Jon with her. People won't be too eager to help knowing that ATLAS is involved. Piper would talk to them in an indirect way. She took her two companions to Danica's house to meet up with Moon.

It wasn't too far from Sylvia's house, but you could see a definite difference in the location of Danica's and Sylvia's homes. Danica's house was located on a street that is notorious for its meth labs, hiding criminals, and all around the people you would imagine seeing in prison. You would also be surprised to see the amount of people who live on this street as well. Their all ages and all different genders and races. Despite its infestation with criminal life, everyone tries to help each other. If the cops are coming, the entire neighborhood will know about it.

Danica's home was a simple single story house, the blue wood chipping along the sides. There wasn't much yard space between her and her neighbors. Several people from across the street were out and about in their yards, going to different houses doing different things with their lives. Piper, Jon, and Wren walked the few steps up to the front door and knocked. Moon answered.

"Hey, Piper," she said, "things not work out at ATLAS?"

"No, it's all fine. In fact, these are two of the people I work with. They came to Tobias' funeral with me." Piper told Moon.

"Oh yeah, I heard about that. It's shit, Pipes. He didn't deserve. Y'all come in." She held open the door and carefully watched Jon and Wren as they walked by. The house had dimmed lightening and old furniture, mostly gathered from yard sales. There wasn't much to the décor aside from the couches and children drawings. Danica was in the kitchen. At the table were two other Hispanic girls, one holding Danica's daughter.

"Hey look who's here, Danny" one of the girls called to Danica. Danica came out with her long hair tucked back into a ponytail. She was wearing low-cut jeans and a fitting purple shirt. She had flour on her hands from whatever she was baking. She wiped them on a cloth tucked into her pants.

"Well well, Piper. Haven't seen you 'round here lately. You got two new friends needin' a place to stay, huh? Can't help you, hun. Bunch of people got released same time as Moon, I'm pretty much rented out." Danica said.

"No, not needing a place to stay. I was wondering if one of the boys you got staying here could tell me anything about Tobias' death." Piper informed her.

"Ah, that little boy that got shot up the other day? I heard some folks talkin' 'bout it, not sure how much they know though."

"Doesn't matter. Anything is fine."

Danica looked from Piper to her two accomplices. She spoke Spanish to one of the girls at the table. The girl nodded, stood up and left out the back door of the house.

"She's getting' somebody. In the meantime, make yourselves at home, not like I got enough people doin' that already." Danica said as she made her way back to the kitchen.

Jon and Wren looked a little hesitant to sit on one of the couches. It was either because they felt out of place amongst these people or they were afraid of catching a disease from the couch. Probably the latter. Piper would fail to mention that she slept here for some time. Moon sat down next to Piper.