Chapter 12

The ride wasn't as bad as Piper had thought it would be. But that was probably for the fact that she didn't ride with the others. They were put into a car with some of Ajax's workers. Piper rode with Ajax, Wilma, and Margarita, who insisted on going, even though Piper didn't see much of a point coming along.

Piper gave them directions back to the town of King's Valley. Piper sat in the back of the car with Ajax, watching the city go by. It was about a four-hour trip once they left Ajax's house, trying to dodge major roads and all, but time flew by for Piper, something she was ungrateful for. The sun had risen and it was early in the morning when they arrived at the bridge to the mountain.

Ajax didn't want to risk getting too close to the gates of ATLAS. He had his men drive over the bridge and into the mountains. He stopped along an empty patch of gravel along the road, hidden by trees. It was just a quick walk up to the gates from there. Piper got out as the others did. She made eye contact with Charlie. He also knew what was in store for Piper, her past was no longer a secret. Charlie and the others began walking to the gates, not speaking to one another, Piper followed close by.

"Piper wait," Ajax called after her. They all stopped. Whatever he was going to say, she didn't care to have Charlie and them listen. She told them to go on ahead, she'd be there in a second. Piper walked back over to Ajax.

"Yes?" Piper asked him.

"This is it. Are you sure I can't persuade you to come back and work for me? You know ATLAS won't be too welcoming to you this time around."

"Yeah," Piper said. He was right, but it didn't matter, "this just feels like the place I need to be right now."

"Worth a shot. But just so you know, my world is always welcome to have you back. Don't be afraid to come to me if you need."

"I'll remember that."

Ajax sighed. "You're never coming back, right?"

Piper shook her head.

"I think that's why I've always liked you more than everyone else. You actually know how to say no to me."

Ajax hugged Piper one last time. He then got a call on his cell phone. It was obviously someone important. He told Piper to give him a minute. He walked over to some trees, away from where people could hear him. Piper turned to walk away, but was stopped by Margarita.

"He will always love you more than his own daughter. You are not his child, but you might as well be. I'll never understand it, but let me tell you this, girl. He has been a father to you. Don't let this stupid ATLAS business blind you of that. If ATLAS comes after him, remember who was the one who helped you when you were so low you couldn't see the sun. You remember Ajax, you hear me?" She said with such fierceness in her voice. Piper didn't have anything else to say, she merely nodded. Ajax finished his call and came back over to them.

"Well, Piper, I hope I'll see you again," Ajax said.

"You too, Ajax. And thank you," she said.

With that, Ajax and Margarita departed to their cars. Piper watched them leave, watched Ajax wave goodbye to her and watched Margarita's stares of hatred. As Piper walked to the gates, she thought more about what Margarita said. She was right, Ajax was there when Piper had no one and nothing left. He picked her off the streets when she was eleven years old, and for four years, he took care of her. He didn't just give her a job with his cartel, he gave her a home and a purpose to live. Ajax showed Piper what more she could be than just slime on the side of the road. Piper owed him her life and if ATLAS did go after him, she would remember him and remember who helped her first.