Chapter 6

Its Piper's first training session with the other mental ability ATLAS members. She had walked around the camp and had seen the other abilities training. She didn't exactly know what they were doing. It seemed like everyone was doing their own individual thing with supervisors around. She had seen Don with the physical ability group and Christina with the manipulation group. Piper hadn't interacted with any other workers outside of those two. She hasn't interacted with any other people at the camp all week. She's either stayed in the cabin or has been in the library. No one acknowledged her absence. They didn't try to talk to her, she didn't talk to them.

Of course she's talked to Audrey and Wren, but that's mainly because she has to. She sits with the same group of people for the meals. For breakfast and dinner, the Rockwood kids are there so every table is full, but for lunch, it's just ATLAS. Outside of meals and her house mates, she's been hanging pretty solo. The only other person she's made conversation with outside of that is Charlie. That's mainly because he doesn't have to do training. You can't train an insomniac to stay awake. The only training, he does is gun work and he doesn't do that much. He's chill to talk to and he doesn't ask Piper much about her past which she's grateful of.

But today, she has to be active with people. She knows that there aren't many mental ability people on camp, the only one she knows of besides herself is Coleman. Piper is walking with Coleman to the training session today, instead of retreating to her cabin after lunch like she normally does. They're meeting in Rayne Lodge today. They go down steps behind Thorn Hall to get there. When they arrive, there's only three other guys there.

There's a large entryway with no doors to the lodge. Everything here is made out of wood. There are wooden tables and benches pushed off to the side, under the large open windows around the lodge. There's a fireplace at one end of the room, and along the wall Piper and Coleman came in from is a little room with random supplies in it. It felt like a craft lodge to Piper because random boards of wood were painted and the room smelt like art supplies. In the middle of the open space, the three guys sat in a circle, in plastic chairs. There were three empty ones. Coleman and Piper took their seats. No one said anything.

About a minute or so later, a young women came into the room. She had long legs and long dark blonde hair. She had a bright smile as she walked in that matched her bright gray eyes.

"I suppose this is the mental ability group, then. Joe Caldwell told me that there weren't many of you, but I didn't realize that there was this few." She told the group. We all remained silent. She could tell that we weren't much of a talkative group, so she took the last empty chair. She sat with her back straight and continued to address the group.

"So, my name is Alazanne Summers, but you all can just call me Alazanne. We won't be doing much today, so I figured we could just introduce each other to the group. I know that most of you know each, but I don't so let's just get this out of the way. Just say your name and ability."

She turned to the guy on her left. He had dark skin and not much hair. He sat up straight from his previous slouched position. "My name is Ennis Cowan and I've got illusion manipulation." Alazanne looked like she was expecting him to say more, but when he didn't the next guy went. "My name is Redmond McGee, but you can just call me Red and my ability is thought manipulation." Red had light blonde hair and big brown eyes. He and Ennis both seemed to have this laid back style between them, but at the same time, they tried to show respect to Alazanne considering she was new. Coleman was next.

"I'm Willodean Coleman, people just call me Coleman, and my ability is memory manipulation." Piper's turn.

"I'm Piper Scott and my ability is enhanced intelligence." She still said that last bit with doubt. Piper noticed that when she introduced herself, everyone's attention was very focused on her, even Alazanne's. She figured that Ennis, Red, Coleman, and the other guy knew each other well considering they were the only mental ability deviants here, but Piper hadn't met the guys, so they must have been interested in a new face. Piper couldn't completely figure out why Alazanne paid more attention to Piper, but it seemed like all the adults here did. She didn't like it.