Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The news spread fast that Brannon's idea had been squashed by Charlie's. Piper didn't talk to Brannon much, but whenever he was around, he was barking orders. He was a known leader. He's the head of the group because he's the oldest, twenty, and is the toughest because of his ability: enhanced combat. Apparently, most people don't correct him; they assume he's right, so Charlie's intervention was a big blow. Piper hoped he wouldn't suffer from it since it was her involvement that caused the change.

Mission hall is right across from the inn and Thorn Hall. Piper walked up with Jon and Wren. Other ATLAS members were filling in. There were two parts to the Hall. On the far left, there was storage unit, supposedly where they keep weapons and old documents and other junk. The part that Piper and the others were walking into was the main ATLAS meeting place.

There was a small hexagon shaped room right as you walked in and then a long and open room. Big windows stretched all the way to the end of the room, and stopped as the end of the roof curved to form a circular end to the room. That part of the room was small stage and Charlie's whiteboard plan. Filling the room was one long table with thirty-four chairs around it. One at each end and sixteen on each side. Jon poked Piper's arm.

"You're seventeen, right?" he asked. Piper nodded. "Then you're down here with us. Seats are in order from oldest to youngest. Brannon is at one end and then the next oldest, which is Zale, is on his right. It keeps going down like that. I'm eighteen, but Audrey, Wren, and Charlie are your age."

Piper looked over, Wren and Audrey sat next to each other, across from them was Charlie and an empty sear, which Piper figured was for her. She sat down next to Charlie and Jon sat next to Audrey, diagonally across from Piper. As everyone else was filling in, Charlie talked to Piper quietly.

"Sorry I didn't talk to you about the plan this morning. Brannon was pretty pissed about the sudden change. I did more research and I think I found a likely place where Ondine will meet with the guy, but I want your second opinion, since you most likely know."

Charlie handed her a file. Inside was a list of possible places where Ondine will meet with her client. They were mainly warehouses or old factories. Looking everything over, the choice Charlie had picked seems to have the greatest possibility of being the location. It was remote and had been sold around a lot, once being a paper manufacturer to a boat factory to something new entirely. Hard to pin down the building as something irregular, so it's the perfect spot. She told this to Charlie.

"Okay, good. I just wanted to make sure. This is my first ever original plan, not something I had to work on for Brannon," Charlie tucked the file into a stack of papers. "And just so you know, Piper, I didn't mention that you were around when I changed the plan, and trust me, it won't come up."

"Thanks, Charlie." As soon as Piper said that Brannon and Joe Caldwell walked into the room. Everyone who wasn't seated hurriedly sat while Brannon came towards Piper's end of the table a Joe on the opposite end.

Everyone settled down and Caldwell spoke to the group.

"As you all know; we have been tasked to the case of Miss Ondine Albert. We have been contacted by other ATLAS teams about her activities and we have dealt with her smaller clients before as we have tried to end her slaving empire on the east coast.

"I believe we can catch Miss Albert and hopefully the client that she will be meeting with. I have asked you to create a plan and I have heard that there have been some conclusions, so it would be for the best if we finalize the plans now and have the next two days to prepare. So, Brannon, what's the plan?"

Brannon stood from his seat, "Sir, there has been last minute changes to the plan and this plan will be explained by Charlie Gentry. Gentry, you have the floor." Brannon sat back in his seat grumpily and Charlie now stood. Charlie nervously faced Caldwell and began to explain the plan.

"Sir, we have received a photograph of Miss Ondine arriving in DC this past weekend and we were tipped off by sources that she would be meeting a client for a business exchange. I have narrowed down who that client is and after contacting a team in Scotland, have confirmed that this client is Viggo Renner, who has a large slaving business going on overseas.

"Further looking into Mr. Renner and Miss Albert's files, I found Ondine's family tree. In this family, she has a cousin by the name of York Albert. Taking a look at pictures of York and comparing them to the one's we have of Ondine, it's an exact resemblance. ATLAS knows of body doubles and I have found that York has been arrested multiple times but never charged with anything and typically leaves within the first hour of being arrested. It is my firm belief that York has been purposely posing as Ondine to distract out attention from where Ondine really is. Because of this, Ondine gets away because focus is on the wrong person.

"This plan I have come up with involves three separate teams. One small team will steak out York, but in a way where she knows we are watching her. She will let Ondine know that ATLAS is watching her and that Ondine is free to go about her business. We will then have another small group follow Ondine and steak out her location. When the business is done, our small group will signal for the bigger team to make the arrest." Caldwell thought of Charlie's plan as Charlie waited for a response.

"Well done, Mr. Gentry. I see that you have done your research and preparation. Who will be on each team?" Caldwell asked. Before Charlie could say anything, Brannon spoke up.

"Sir, I actually have formed teams if you don't mind?" Brannon said. Charlie sat down and Brannon stood up.

"I thought that teams of six for the two small teams should suffice our goals. Following York Albert, I have selected Clyde, Audrey, Ada, Lora, Stanley, and Ennis for the team. For the small team following Ondine, I selected Charlie, Wren, Logan, Red, Piper, and Gia. Everyone else with me and the head department of the DC ATLAS team for the arrest. Do those teams work?" Brannon asked Joe Caldwell. He considered this for a moment.

"Yes they do, and so do the plans. This mission is under way, I will talk to the DC ATLAS department immediately, I suggest that all of you get working on preparations. Meeting adjourned." Caldwell said. As he stood up so did everyone else. Piper noticed that Charlie and Brannon began to talk while everyone else filed out of the room. Piper was following Jon and Audrey when Caldwell stopped them outside.

"Jon, Piper, I was hoping I could talk to you two before you all left." Caldwell said. He brought Jon and Piper further away from the mingling groups outside of the hall. "This is your first mission Piper and I know that I can't fill you in on all ATLAS protocol, but Jon, I was wondering if you could teach her some things before we get to work. Small stuff like how to use our guns, fighting techniques and other stuff."

"Yeah, no problem. Want to meet in Rayne Lodge today before dinner?" Jon asked Piper.

"Sounds fine to me," Piper said, even though she knew most of what Jon would probably teach her.

"Good. Piper I was wondering if I could have a moment alone with you," Caldwell said. Jon took the hint, nodded and strolled off to catch up to some friends leaving the hall.

"Everything okay?" Piper asked. She and Caldwell began walking down the hill towards his office.

"That was my question for you. I know I haven't talked to you this past week, I've just been very busy with missions and other things going on. I heard from Alazanne that you show unbelievable strength and are defying your own title of enhanced intelligence."

"I mean, it's nothing big. But yeah, this week has been good I guess." Piper responded.

"That's good. I trust that everything will go accordingly on this mission. Once you get back, we'll be able to discuss further things."

"Further things?"

"There's always more details to be discussed and when you return, I'm sure it'll be easier to talk about them. Till then, good luck with your training Piper."