Page Five

Hello! I'm with an update. Haha! It's nearly new year and a few more pages, this will end...with a tragic one. >:) Just kidding. I just read Ms. esvee-glitters' comments and it touched me that someone liked it. It rather gave me an ego boost. :D 

Based on a real life, except for a few things. If ever you had the same name or etc, it's coincidence. :) No sue, okay?

***********************************************************

29 October 2011

I almost forgot that it was my birthday. I was preoccupied with my check-ups. I was getting a lot of blood transfusions and nosebleed. I knew that I was sick and I already told Tony to cut the act.

I actually regretted telling him to do so. He broke down to tears by my side. It hurt me seeing his tears, it seemed that the feelings I had for him was indeed requited. I realized that he wasn’t pretending to love me because he knew I was dying. Silly like a child, I panicked and used my blanket to wipe his tears and pretended to be unaffected. My voice cracked, as expected, and spoiled my tough act.

He embraced me real tight. He wept on my shoulders as if there was no tomorrow – which might be true. I may leave this place tonight. Who knows? Only God knows when I’m about to meet him. I tried to live through the days I’ve had since my marriage. I tried to be happy despite the paranoia it gave me, but deep in my heart, I hope I would still reach Christmas day and get to kiss Tony under a mistletoe…things that I might not do by the next year.

I looked up on the ceiling, trying to stop the tears from flowing. Later on, I found myself crying while hushing my husband and brushed my hands on his back. It went exactly like in the chick-flick movies in the theatres. Nonetheless, we ended up sleeping on each other’s arms…well, with clothes.

When I woke up, my floor was adorned with rose petals. Small fragrant candles were placed all around and the lights were closed. Someone entered; it was Tony with a bouquet of my favourite flowers: Tulips. I never liked roses…but when they were sprawled all over the floor, it made me skip a beat.

I do not know if skipping a heartbeat will harm me or speed up my living days and lead me to death, but I have never felt more alive whenever it skips a beat. Ironic, right?

Tony stopped in the middle of entering. It was funny because he went outside and re-entered the room with a romantic ringtone playing on his phone. He said the first one was a trial since he forgot the music. I laughed. It had been so long since I’ve laughed.

Twenty-six was my favourite number. I do not know why, but I liked it. I asked Tony about the entire sudden romantic aura because I forgot that today was my birthday. See, I’m a klutz. I asked:

Did you do this because this day is exactly twenty-six days after we got married?

He shook his head. I tried again:

Did you do this because twenty-nine is a nice number?

He shook his head…now with laughter coming in.

Twenty-nine...it sounds special. Why? Do you know?

Then, he kissed me and whispered on my ear. Happy Birthday, my one and only Suzy.

That was when I realized it was my birthday! I just turned twenty-one. Yay! I’m happy for myself because I lasted for twenty-one years. My twenty-first birthday became better when Tony snapped and a delicious strawberry cake was waiting for me. It was my personal favourite. Strawberry Jam, strawberry cake, strawberry tea, strawberry ice cream and even Strawberry Shortcake were my favourites. Now I remember when I once decided coating my flat with strawberry wallpaper – much to Aunt Martha’s displeasure.

We ate the cake and spent the rest of the night eating and reflecting on our lives as a child.

And…for once, I felt very free.

Happily yours,

Suzanne Gallo :)