Part 2 The Maverick - Chapter 17

Hi everyone! Sorry for not updating last week like I had promised. I was sick and throwing up all over the place. But, here is the new chapter that'll hopefully surpasse your expectations!

It has come to my attention that it's been forever since I've updated my other stories. So, here is what I'm going to do; every week I will update a different one, meaning of course that AMT won't be updated as much, but I promise that the story will not stop. So in the mean time, you could read my other works, so that the wait won't seem so long. AMT chapter 18 should be posted on December 14th (write it down somewhere, so you can bash me if ever I don't do it).

I will keep you waiting no more, please enjoy the chapter and don't forget to comment and vote :)

Part 2 ~ The Maverick

Chapter 17

Gabrielle

“They want us to spy on you.” Gabrielle said to her father.

She, Greg and Braxlin were talking in Keke’s room. Their mother was still out looking for them somewhere in town. It was nearly two PM, and their mom had in mind that she and Greg had suddenly run away during the night, their father however, knew exactly what was going on and he’d known that they’d return home soon enough. So, when she and Greg had walked into the house nearly a few minutes after their mother had left, their father had been there waiting for them, his face unreadable. He’d ordered them to follow him upstairs where they were forced to whisper to one another to not awaken little sleeping Keke. That’s when she and Greg started to put their plan into action.

                “Who?” Their father whispered back, even though it was obvious to all of them whom she was talking about.

                “The Upper Kingdom.” Greg clarified. “Last night Gabrielle tried to sneak out, and I followed her like you said I should do if she ever started showing symptoms that she’d transformed. But when we were both in the ocean, we were taken by the queen’s guards.” It was a good lie on her brother’s part because some of the story was actually true, which made everything more believable. “They interrogated us and tried to make us tell them where you were keeping Taiven and where exactly the Dark Kingdom was located, but Gabrielle knew nothing and I refused to talk. So, they said that they would let us live if we spied on you; we accepted and then were set free. But we would never betray you father, never.”

                A moment of silence passed, before Braxlin slowly looked at Gabrielle. “How much do you now know about all of this?” He then asked her.

                She licked her lips, and did her best not to look away and remain as serious as possible. “Everything.” She admitted looking straight into her father’s eyes.

                That was obviously not what their father wanted to hear. Gabrielle was willing to betray her father and everything she knew, but she’d rather do it with as less lying as possible. What if she’d told him that she knew barely anything about the merworld and one day she mentioned something that she supposedly wasn’t supposed to know? Their plan would crumble to pieces, saving the Upper Kingdom would be a total lost, and it would be all of her fault.  No. The only way that she knew that the plan wouldn’t be compromised was to stay as truthful as possible, Greg knew that too. Still, Braxlin’s reaction to Gabrielle’s response was enough to throw both her and her brother off course. Their father was supposed to get angry; he was supposed to order their deaths, he was supposed to be what everyone assumed he was, evil. But instead, in one swift movement he grabbed Gabrielle’s arm and pulled her into a giant hug. He then grabbed Greg from a distance and forced him into the hug as well. Gabrielle was certain that if Keke wouldn’t have been sleeping, Braxlin would have put her into the group hug as well. For a moment both Gabrielle and her brother were too shock to even move, but eventually she returned the hug and so did Greg. Even with so much terrible things going on in their lives these days, Gabrielle needed to remind herself that no matter what everyone has said, Braxlin had been an excellent father. He was—and still is— attentive, patient, caring and loving. Was it all an act? Maybe, she’ll probably never know. Nevertheless it had felt real, and just because of that she was extremely tempted to just admit everything to her father; the secret plan to spy on the Deep and report everything to queen Tara so that the Upper Kingdom could eventually invade the Deep to finally free king Taiven and also save the ocean. But maybe that was exactly what Braxlin wanted Gabrielle to do, admit everything because he thought that she was weak. Well, she wasn’t. She let her father go, and went to stand beside her little sister’s crib and moments later Greg came to stand beside her.