Chapter 27

"Who is Clara?". I asked again when He stared at me not answering.

"No one important".

I glared at him before throwing his phone at him. It hit his chest and fell.
Hunter looked at me with obvious shock.

"What is wrong with you?". He asked.

"Who is Clara?". I asked angrily.

"How do you know he-".

Before he could finish, I grabbed his charger and threw it at him. He moved before it could hit his head.

"Damn it. Stop throwing things at me." He said angrily.

"Then answer my question."

He sighed looking at me hardly.

"I used to sleep with her, okay. That's it." He said frustrated.

"'That's it?'. No that's not it." I snapped. "Why did she call you?"

"She doesn't know what 'it's over' means. And she used to do some jobs for me."

I glared at him. "You know what? I just realised something." I said making him raise his eyebrows in a questionning way.
"You're a cheater." I declared.

"How the fuck am I a cheater?". He snapped.

"You said you never sent the divorce papers and still you slept with other women and technically you were still married to me, and one of them is still calling you." I narrowed my eyes at him.
"That makes you a cheater." I angrily pushed on his chest.

He ran his hand through his hair angrily. "Well I thought you really cheated on me. And the only reason why I didn't send the divorce papers is because I didn't want to let you go". He sighed.
"Yes. I am that selfish and you know it."

"Still, that doesn't justify it." I paused.
"Wait. Was it the woman you brought at the party?" I asked and he sighed.
"So you were still sleeping with her? Even after you found out the truth and after finding me, you asshole".

"No. I haven't. I just needed her for something."

"You said we were still married." I said loudly. "You can't just sleep with other people whole you're still married to someone".

He groaned, obviously frustrated. "Why the fuck does it matter now? I thought you cheated on you. I haven't slept with her since I found you. I said 'I bed her', I didn't say when."

"She just called you, assh*le".

He sighed taking a step closer to me but I took one back.

"No". I snapped. "You have a very good way of having things your way, Hunter. So now, answer my question."

I looked at him seriously. He will tell me everything I need to know now.

"When was the last time you saw her?" I asked.

"That night at the party." He answered. "I didn't sleep with her that night."

I groaned. "You never answer her calls again." I asked and He shook his head.

"No I haven't."

"So why have you been so weird lately?" I asked and he tensed again.

"I am not acting weird. If I am, it's just because of work."

I couldn't but feel my eyes watering out of frustration, but I quickly blink them away.

"You know lies and secrets always backfire, even if it is for a good reason".

"Why are you saying that?"

"Because I feel like there's something you're hiding." I sighed running a hand through my hair. "Or maybe I'm just being paranoid." I sighed again.
"But with my mom and everything that happened. If she was in trouble, you would Tell me right?" I asked hopefully.

He took a cautious step to me. "I would tell you if she was in trouble. But she is not, I can assure you."

"You promise."

He nodded walking Closer to me and wrapping an arm around my waist.
"I promise." He said kissing my nose.

"I want you to call that witch to tell her you're a married man then block her number." I said pushing him away.
"And if she doesn't back off, you can use a restraining order". I said pushing him away.

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Are you serious?"

"Does it look like I'm joking?" I asked walking past him. "Because I am giving our relationship another chance. That's all I am telling you. But if you get involved with another woman like that again, you'll regret it."

"I know, and I won't." He said quietly before shaking his head at me.

I nodded, thinking for a moment before looking at him.

"So what exactly did you find about my mom?" I asked turning back around.

"Nothing clear." He shrugged.

I sighed defeated.

"You know what my mom means to me." I said softly turning to face him. "You would tell me if she was in danger right?"

He sighed looking at me with a blank face. "Like I said, she is definitly not in trouble."

"Then what is wrong with her? What or who is she hiding from?"

"I don't know."

"But you said you would take care of it. And you must have at least found something." I said loudly.
"Hunter, I just want to know that my mother is safe, that she doesn't have any problem."

Hunter clenched his jaw. "Can't you just trust me? Just trust me, okay? I know what I'm doing."

"Well she is my mother. Just don't leave me out of this. She is also my concern. If don't tell me, then I will find answers myself."

"Stella, stop". He said loudly making take a step back.
"Just fucking stop. You will not go find anything. Just leave it to me and stay out of it". He said, his voice getting louder.

"Then tell m-". He cut me off angrily.

"There's nothing to tell, okay. You said you want to keep her safe, and she told you not to try to call her or even find her. That's for a good reason".

I bit my lower  lip looking down down.

He sighed. "Baby I know you want to be sure she's fine, but you just need to stay calm and let things go the way they should".

"She tried to protect me and now she is alone because of me. I Just need answers. I Just want to be there for her". I said looking up as my eyes started watering again.

Hunter wrapped his arms around me hugging me tightly.

"I promise you will get the answers to your questions soon. Just trust me, okay". He said whispering the last part.
I nodded as he kissed my neck pulling away but not letting me go.

"You will do anything to protect her right?" asked as he wiped my tears with his thumbs.

"I Will always do what's the best for you". He said looking into my eyes.