Prologue

As far as the eyes could see, there were scores of mutilated bodies. Amongst the cries of women and children, a horse galloped towards an injured man. His crowned head had been separated from his body, spilling his blood around it. Around his body sat a few soldiers with their limbs severed; not knowing what to do.

From the horse descended a woman, clad in saree and armour. The woman inhaled sharply; tears nearly escaped her eyes. She asked them an obvious question, "What happened?"

"Your Highness, all the ten ministers are dead. Rakhtabeeja was the last person to die before. . . before they killed our king," informed a soldier.

She took a few steps and looked at her brother, lying on the land. Ironically, he was defeated on the same land which was known as the Land of Mahishasura or Mysuru. She shuddered as his eyes and mouth were wide open. There were numerous scars on his body indicating that he had given his rival a tough fight.

She asked another obvious question. "Who did this?"

"Your Highness, the Devas addressed her as Devi Durga. She did it," the soldier answered. He added, "Many of the asura women ran and fell on her feet. She took them under her protection."

'Opportunists!' She stood up with a tear streaming down her face. Wiping it away, in a hoarse whisper, she pledged, "I shall make their divinity a bane. The three worlds shall witness the fury I will unleash when I avenge my brother."

The cries of other asura women brought her attention to the bodies of piled corpses. Amongst the crowd, she spotted another severed body. She ran towards it and screamed on top of her voice, "Can any soldier call the royal doctor?"

With fresh tears streaming down her face, she held the severed body's head and cried, "Someone, please help. . . please, I cannot lose him too."

To her luck, the doctor was near her. On hearing her, he rushed towards her and looked at the highly mutilated body. "Your Highness, he is about to die in a few minutes. All his vital body parts have been cut-"

She raised her palm. "Mix this with some milk and give it to him,"she ordered while taking out a small glass bottle from the folds of her saree. Meanwhile, a soldier, who had overheard their conversation, had rushed to a nearby tent to get some milk. As soon as the doctor mixed the concoction with milk, he realized what it was.

"How did you find-"

"That's none of your business. Just do as I say. Remember he should be alive. If not, you will be silenced forever."

The royal doctor gulped as he proceeded to treat the man. Only when the blood was wiped from the wounded man's face, the doctor realised how important he was.

***