Chapter 13. Plottings

The court maid standing outside Mahishi's room announced, "Commander Sundara Mahish has arrived, Your Highness."

She stood up, straightening her saree. He entered and bowed. Dismissing the soldiers and maids, she guestered him to take a seat. He sat on the chair, smiling. Let's see Queen, if I can make you lean on my shoulders.

Sitting on the opposite chair, she poured some tea in the cups for both of them. "I would've poured some madira but the royal doctor has advised me not to consume it."

"This is perfect, Your Majesty. I don't consume madira or soma."

She looked at him, surprised. "Aren't mercenary armies notorious for consumption of alcohol?"

He chuckled, "Yes, they are. My army is no different but I prefer not drinking."

"That's interesting."

He smiled, sipping the tea. She finds me interesting. Looks like a good sign.

Taking a sip, she apologised. "I truly apologise for my behaviour in the morning. I know you wished for my wellness -"

"Is that why you summoned me?"

"Huh?" She managed to ask.

"I am asking, Your Majesty, is that why you summoned me? To talk about what happened with you again?"

Mahishi kept her tea cup on the table, her palm clutching its handle. He kept his tea cup on the table too. Looks like I've hit the right nerve.

She whispered, "What happened to me wasn't that bad. It was all because of you, it stopped where it should have -"

She stopped speaking as he kept his palm on hers, clutching the tea cup handle. She removed her palm, recoiling with terror stricken eyes. "Explain yourself!"

"You're reacting to my touch as if I were the one who assaulted you."

"G-give me s-sometime, I'll put this incident past."

"Will you?"

She nodded. He slowly touched her palm, taking it in his. This time she didn't remove it. She asked, "See?

"Your Highness, we both know the truth. Why don't you start with letting out your anger?"

"My anger?"

"Yes, the pent up anger inside you for that imbecile tried touching you"

She shook her head. "There is no pent up anger inside me. I broke his ankles, castrated him and pronounced water punishment as well. I have taken my revenge. Why should there be any anger within me?"

He gently brushed the tears rolling from her face. "Then why are you crying?"

"I am not crying. Looks like some dust went into my eyes," she replied, wiping her tears.

He looked at her face. Why won't you give in? You might push me away, if trod on this any further. This might take more time than I thought -

Mahishi stood up, shuddering. She cried, "I am a Queen! How dare he lay hand on me! If he was told to abduct me then he should stick to that! Why did he try raping me? Had he not drugged me, I would have sliced his head off for having this thought!"

Sundara Mahish stood up and walked to her. He said, "Your Highness, I am sorry for what I am about to do."

Tear stricken, she looked up to find him embracing her. I had forgotten what warmth felt like! Both her father and brother were men who didn't show physical affection. Only Anjan had shown her some warmth. Like he had to every other woman in their palace.