Chapter 12. The Attack

Trigger Warning: This chapter contains descriptions of assault/violence. Reader discretion advised.
*
*
*
*
*
Sundara Manish sighed and retired to his bed. He had barely closed his eyes when he heard a loud bang and muffled screams. He grabbed his angavastra, draping it quickly. Dashing out, he took a left from his room. There was a faint noise of bangles and anklets. That sounds like metal ones. . . Perhaps someone from the royal family?

He ran in front of a few rooms, when he heard tearing of some cloth. Please let it not be what I think! He stopped in front of the room that he assumed was where the woman might be trapped. He gave a strong push to the door and it opened without much resistance. The intruder was covered in black, from head to toe, except for his eyes.

The intruder jumped out from the window before Sundara Mahish could pursue him. Since the jump was from the first floor, he might get away with a few bruises. He turned to see a woman lying on the floor, clutching her ankle and whimpering in pain. It took a few moments to realise who she was.

"Your Highness! Please stay here, I will be back."

He ran out, alerting a few guards to catch the intruder. He spotted one of his men to alert Kaal and other ministers about the attack. Hurrying back to the room, he saw Mahishi holding her head. When I wished I wanted to take my revenge, this is not what I had hoped in my wildest dreams.

She flinched on hearing the footsteps.

"Your Highness, it's me Sundara Mahish of the mercenary army. My men have informed your courtiers, they'll be here soon."

"Is he caught?"

"Not yet, your soldiers are searching for him."

He removed his angavastra and covered her. She threw it aside. "I don't see why I have to cover myself when that bastard tore a part of my saree."

Three ministers barged into the room, making her flinch again. Kaal informed, "Your Highness, please be assured, we are searching for him. He'll be caught before daybreak."

She took a deep breath. I need to wash away his touch. "Call the royal doctor to my chambers. Inform the maids to have my bath prepared."

Sundara Mahish narrowed his eyes. Is Kaal really going to find the intruder so soon? More importantly why is behaving like this? The footsteps are scaring her but she is trying to put a brave front -

Realisation struck him. No wonder we didn't have much idea about her weaknesses except for Mahishasura and Anjan. Both are dead. She knows how to conceal it. Mahishi stood up and started walking slowly. Nilakukshi and Sumali dispersed to make arrangements. Only Kaal and he were left, maintaining their pace with hers.

They were almost halfway away from her chambers when a soldier relayed a message to Kaal. He excused himself and rushed in the opposite direction. She continued walking a few more steps until a sharp pain seared through her ankle. Wincing in pain, she bent down, trying to tie the cloth tighter. I didn't expect it to give away so soon. Damn that bastard, once I find him I will break both his ankles.
Sundara Mahish remarked, "Apologies, Your Highness, please forgive me for what I am about to do."

Before Mahishi could understand his statement, he scooped her from the ground. He continued carrying her and ambling.

She hissed, "What's the meaning of this, Commander?"

"Your Highness, it's exactly what it means."

Her breathing fumed. While she felt thankful that she was being carried, yet a part of hated that she might be seen as someone weak. Her eyes settled on his chest and she took a deep breath. His touch may not be repulsive. . . Don't forget what happened with Anjan. . .
Mahishi, don't fall for his looks.