Chapter 4. War Preparations

Mysore...

Disappointed, Sumali walked out of Mahishi's chamber when he saw Kaal signalling him. He looked surprised. "Commander-in-Chief?"

"Minister Sumali, please follow me," he requested, in a firm tone.

"May I know where we are going?"

"Like I said, please follow me."

Kaal led Sumali to his chamber. Once they reached, he started, "Minister Sumali-"

"Kaal, let's drop the formalities till we are in your chambers."

He nodded. "Sumali, why do you think that this path of Aikyam isn't correct?"

"I am sure you have heard our entire conversation. Yet you are asking me?"

"Yes, I overheard everything. But now I want to know your opinion."

"According to what I have read and what Guru Shukracharya had taught, it went something like -

If He is my God, if He picks my side over someone else's, He is not the One God.

The only true One God is the one who picks no sides, who belongs to everything, who doesn't demand loyalty or fear; in fact, who doesn't demand anything at all. Because the Aikyam just exists; and His existence allows for the existence of all else," he paused.

"This is what I wanted to explain to Her Highness. But she is refusing to listen."

Kaal stood there absorbing every word. He rallied weakly, "If Her Highness didn't listen to you then there must be a valid reason behind it."

"Are you even listening to what you are saying!" Sumali screamed and continued after a sigh, "What makes you think that my explanation is invalid? After the war between Asuras and Devas, Guru Shukracharya had assessed the cause for our defeat.

He didn't want Asuras to be defeated by Devas due to the same mistake. Even now, I don't want that to repeat. Thinking it's my duty to inform Her Highness, I approached her. But it appears that none of you want to learn from the mistakes of our ancestors."

He got up and walked towards the door. Before exiting, he asked, "Have I asked you why you didn't express what you felt for Queen Mahishi? No, I've never asked you. I understand what you used to feel then and what you feel now. I didn't name your feeling towards her as immature love.

But now you are trying to cover her mistakes."

As the sound of Sumali's footsteps faded, Kaal pondered. Is it that evident? What do I feel for Mahishi? Is it really immature love?

No, I fell in love with her wit and beauty. I fell in love with who she was. It was this realization that took time. Wish I had understood this beforehand. Then she would still have not fallen for Anjan.

He sighed and started walking towards the training ground. My hopes were destroyed when she chose Anjan over me. Ten years ago. I had promised my old self that I will confess my feelings to her when I will be Commander-in-chief. What will she say if confess now? That I like her out of gratitude?

Anyways, now that she has returned, she will be busy. After all, she is a queen. Her responsibilities will keep her occupied. Perhaps, I am scared of rejection. Or is that I am sure she will reject me? Now, it's too late. I have lost my chance to have her as my life partner.

*

Soothing cool breeze gently hit Mahishi's face as stood near the window. Mahishasura, I shall avenge you. You didn't deserve to die this way. Why can't you be here, to guide me? Everyone in the court thinks it's their duty to question my decision if it's against their advice.

You won't believe it, I removed Anjan from my path. But without my kin, I am lonely. This feeling of emptiness doesn't hurt during the day, when I am busy with my duties. When I return back to this chamber as Mahishi, it hurts. This lonely heart craves for a partner.

The thing is, nobody loves me for who I am. They love me for what I am today. I can't accept that. She sighed. Nothing can replace my solitude. I will die alone.

*

On the training ground, a temporary stage was constructed. Standing on it, Mahishi assessed her army. Vaayakal, who stood to her right, observed his disciple. Looks like a tinge of nervousness she had last time is not there now.

She addressed, "As your Queen, I have to be prepared for the worst conditions. For example, like now I am assuming that while I was gone for the past ten years, all of you didn't train. I don't have interest in knowing what you were all up to until now.

From today, you will be divided into four major groups; with each group consisting of two thousand soldiers. The first group will be trained to use urumi by Commander-in-chief Kaal.

Next group will be archers trained by Minister Kura. Guru Nilakukshi, disciple of Guru Vaayakal will be training a third group in silambam. The last group will be the most crucial group of our army, soldiers trained in varma adi. Since this group will decide the fate of the war we will be fighting, Guru Vaayakal will be training you all.

She paused. Taking a look at her army's new enthusiasm, she continued, "Today, for the whole day, there will be tests conducted to segregate you all into your respective groups. Further information on divisions and subdivisions will be announced after two days."

As she walked towards the courtroom, she sighed. We are less than quarter the size of the Deva army. Yet we have to win. Only after winning this war, the current king of Asuras, King Dahan, will approach to join them back. Only then we can get back at him for kicking us out.

Within a few days, the soldiers were divided into their respective groups; their training had begun. Yet the number of soldiers enlisted were comparatively lesser than her expectations. Her brother had issued a rule in the previous war stating that it was mandatory for at least one man from each family to join the army.

Mahishi decided not use that strategy and instead issued a special request for interested women to join the army. To her disappointment only handful women joined the army. This enraged her and she issued an announcement similar to Mahishasura's, albeit it was mandatory for at least one woman from each family to join the army. When this was implemented, her army strength reached to a quarter of the Deva army.

There was reassembling of the groups which delayed the necessary training. While some of her ministers were not happy with the war itself, seeing the royal Guru Vaayakaal supporting her, they had stopped it. The war strategy was planned with utmost precision trying to remove every possible loophole from the plan. Days flew and they were ready for the war after four years of rigorous training.

In these four years, Mahishi received numerous reports on how assassination attempts on Prince Manikandan were planned but would get foiled. Like one time, an assassin was hired who said that his sword magically turned into a garland of flowers.

Recently, she received a report on how Diwan Chakrabani and the royal doctor had prepared a concentrated concoction of arali leaves and mixed it in Prince's food. Only way to survive this was vomiting the food consumed. But not only was the Prince unaffected, he was also sent to gurukul. Some even say, they saw his throat turn blue for a second.

As she folded the report, she pondered. Did the King of Pandalam, Rajashekara, hire a brilliant storyteller who could cook these stories? Is it only to make his adopted son look divine? Why did his throat turn blue? Is he the son of Shiva?

Or is he really a divine child?

ೱೲೱೲೱೲೱೲೱ

Thank you for reading.