Chapter 1. Seeking the Boon

Chamundeshwari Hills, present day Karnataka...

"Prajaapate na tvadetaan-yanyo viswaa jaataani pari taa babhoova

Yat-kaamaaste juhoomas-tannoe astu vayam syaama patayoe rayeenaam|"

A low feminine voice continuously chanted the mantra. Her immense concentration didn't break when a few butterflies sat near her elbows. It didn't break when her muscles were stinging and legs numb from being seated in the same position. It didn't break when a sudden blinding flash of light hit her closed eyes.

It was almost dusk when she knew the limit of her concentration had neared. Bringing her palms together, she joined them to a namaste. Rubbing her hands against each other, she kept her warm palms on her eyes. Slowly, she opened her eyes, letting the hazy twilight light enter them. After a few moments, she stood up to stroll towards a small brook. Before dipping her hands into the roaring waters, she paused to take a reflection.

Her dark brown skin matched with her orbs, her bow shaped lips and high cheekbones added to her beauty. Her sculpted nose looked sharp as ever. They said the sharper the nose was, the more easily one would get angry. When she started meditating ten years ago, she felt it might be this anger that would break her vow. Her vow to get a boon from Lord Brahma. The meditation helped to think about her anger; solitude gave her enough time to question her thought processes.

Her dull saffron coloured robes accentuated her pear-shaped body, although her belly had sunk from eating just enough food to sustain herself. It was quite opposite from her upbringing of feasting on meat after her sword training would end. Her breasts were disproportionately larger; younger she would be very conscious of it as the palace guards would stare at her. Her older self had demoted the ranks of those men; she believed that hurting their fragile ego was the best way to get back to them.

Just when she was going to splash the water on her face, she sensed a presence behind her. What could it be? Wild animals? A tiger that jumped from the bush? I left my dagger near the tree! Why did I let my guard down? Even so, how was it able to conceal its presence until a moment ago? It didn't seem like that. . . this sensation was similar to the one I got before Goddess Durga had attacked us.

Taking a deep breath, she turned. A man with four heads stood in front of her. Each head was adorned with a jewel studded crown. His ageless face spouted ash white moustache and beard, making his appearance look wiser. No sooner did she see him than she bowed her head and her hands were in namaste.

"How lucky I am to seek your darshan, Lord Brahma!" she said, expressing her gratitude.

Among the gods, there was the holy trinity of both male and female gods. The trinity of male gods were Brahma – the Creator, Vishnu – the preserver and Shiva – the Destroyer.

He replied, "Raise your head, Mahishi. It's not easy to leave one's empire and perform such intense meditation. I am pleased with your devotion. I shall grant you what you desire."

Mahishi requested, "Thank you Lord Brahma. I wish to be immortal."

He shook his head, "Alas, Mahishi, that's beyond my limit. Ask for some other boon."

Though her face was expressionless, she smirked in her mind. Just as I had planned. Now, I will ask for my actual wish. Lifting her head, she requested, "Then Lord Brahma, bless me that I would attain salvation from the son of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu."

Unknown to Mahishi, Brahma had already read her thoughts. He replied with a smile, "So be it, Mahishi. I have granted your wish."

She bowed her head again, to express her gratitude but Brahma's smile had made her nervous. Why wasn't he surprised? Is it something that he had expected? To quench her thoughts, she lifted her head only to find he had vanished in thin air.

Ambling to her meditation spot, she opened the cloth she would use to sit on while meditating. She threw her belongings on that cloth and tied it to make a makeshift bag. Tying a sturdy branch to the bag, she lifted the branch to place it on her left shoulder. She was all set to leave the forest.

The birds had started to return to their nests, many small animals were returning from the brook to their shelters. For the first time in ten years, she thought she understood their feeling - of returning to one's home. Going back to where she had lost her brother, managed to save her love and kingdom.

She managed to cover a considerable distance before she halted. Before making a stop, she had managed to collect some alms which would last her until the next morning. She was too tired to sweep the area around her. As she lay on the grass, under the dull moonlight, her thoughts went back to the day she had decided to gain boon.

"Anjan, how are you feeling?" she asked.

"Is that you, Princess Mahishi?" he asked. His body and face were covered with thin straps of cotton. These cotton straps had a paste of numerous herbs along with the one Mahishi had got.

"Yes, although I am a queen now."

"My apologies, Your Highness, I wasn't informed about this."

"No Anjan, many surgeries were performed to save you. I understand you were feeling drowsy all the time."

"You are very kind, Your Highness."

Mahishi blushed. "I am assigning you with an important duty. You are now Commander-in-Chief of our entire army."

"Your Highness, I suppose we can discuss this later-"

"No Anjan, we can't. I will be leaving today to perform penance. I desire to get a boon."

Anjan asked her, "Penance! Who will grant your boon?"

"Lord Brahma. It is easy to please him."

"Do you have a boon in your mind? No one in the trinity has granted the boon of immortality."

"Yes, I have a boon in my mind. It will be next to impossible to find a solution for it. My brother was an idiot to have asked for a boon that he would be killed by a woman. Why does he keep forgetting that he has a warrior sister?"

Stretching her arms, she smiled. You just wait Anjan till you hear how I have obtained the boon.

ೱೲೱೲೱೲೱೲೱ

Thank you for reading.