Chapter 18: The Future Revealed

Year: 1488

Venezia

  Ezio and I climbed up to the meeting spot. Once we got up, everybody was there. I walked over to stand beside Niccolò and Mario. They had the fire lit and it was glowing, lighting the small area of the roof. I stood beside Niccolò and looked over to him and then looked around. I looked back to Niccolò and nodded my head. He grabbed my arm and pulled me to him. He whispered to me.

“Would you like to do it this time?”

  I looked to him and then nodded my head. I looked over to Mario and nodded my head. I looked back over to Ezio and grinned. Mario turned to look at the fire and then spoke.

“Laa shay’a waqi’un moutlaq bale kouloun moumkine. These are the words spoken by our ancestors –that lay at the heart of our Creed.”

  Mario turned to face us. I took a few steps towards Ezio. I stopped about halfway.

“Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember . . .”

“. . . Nothing is true.”

“Where other men are limited, by morality or law, remember . . .”

“. . . Everything is permitted.”

“We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.”

“Nothing is true, everything is permitted.” everybody spoke

  I took a few steps back and then motioned my hand for Ezio to walk towards the fire. He took a step as Mario spoke.

“It is time Ezio . . . In this modern age, we are not so literal as our ancestors. But our seal is no less permanent. –Are you ready to join us?”

  There was no pause before Ezio made his decision, “I am.”

  Mario put Ezio’s hand in the right position to get his marking. Antonio went over to the fire and brought out the prongs that had been in the fire for a bit now. He opened and then closed them as he spoke and took a step towards Ezio.

“This only hurts for a while brother. Like so many other things.”

  Antonio opened the prongs and then set them on Ezio’s finger to leave our marking. Ezio held back the scream that he wanted to release so badly. His jaw clenched and then Antonio opened the prongs and set them back in the fire. Niccolò took a step towards Ezio.

“Benvenuto, Ezio. [welcome, Ezio] You are one of us now. Come! We have much to do!”

  Everybody made their way to the edge of the roof and then did a Lead Of Faith into the haystack at the bottom. It was supposed to be Niccolò and then me, but I walked in the other direction from everybody else and leaned over the edge of the roof. I set my arms on the wall as I looked out to the view. Everybody jumped one by one. I just stayed there. Ezio was last but he didn’t go. He stayed behind with me. He leaned on the wall right beside me just like Niccolò did the other night.

  I looked out to the view. We didn’t say a word to each other for a few moments before Ezio spoke up.

“What is your story?”

  I turned to him confused, “I already told you my story.”

  He sighed, “I meant how you became the Assassin you are today. It must have taken years of training and hard work.”

  I grinned and looked to my hands, “Sì, a lot of years. You just don’t get this,” I said as I waved my hand in front of me, “within a year’s span.”