Chapter 20: Gone From My Grasp

Year: 1488

Forlì

“What would you like to talk about?” Caterina asked

“You and your . . .” I paused a moment looking for the right words, “ex-husband.”

  She nodded her head, “What about that debosciato? [sleazebag]”

  I sighed, “You should have told me! I would have happily killed him for you.”

  We climbed down the ladder and continued to walk around the citadel. She turned to look at her men and then back to me.

“No, you wouldn’t have.”

  I huffed, “If you gave me a better reason then ‘he was lousy in bed’.”

  She walked over to the captain and said something to him. He nodded his head and then ran off. She turned back to me and sighed.

“What reason would I have to give you?”

  I looked her in the eyes and then grabbed her elbow and pulled her closer to me.

“Working for the Templars would have been a great start.”

  She looked to me and then to her hands that were folded in front of her.

“Sì, I guess you are right.”

  I nodded my head towards her and then we walked off. I looked around for Niccolò. He couldn’t have gone that far. We walked around the weapons and the men before I found Niccolò. He was talking to one of the men. I walked over to him as Caterina was surrounded by her kids. She looked happy. I smiled when I turned to look at Niccolò. Niccolò looked around and then to me. He stood beside me before we started to walk around. He put his hands behind his back. He looked over to me.

“I have a bad feeling about this . . .”

  I nodded my head, “Caterina is putting down her defenses. I’m not so sure it is the best thing to do.”

“Can you try to conscience her otherwise?”

“I can try.”

“Grazie.”

  I nodded my head and then walked off. I headed towards Caterina who had all her children by her side. I walked over to her and tapped her shoulder. She looked over towards me and then smiled. I smiled back to her and nodded my head in the other direction to say I need to talk in private. She took a few steps away from her children when he got over to me.

“Sì?”

“Caterina, I do not mean to judge you, but, do you really think it is the best to lower your defenses?”

  She looked to me and thought about it for a second. She opened her mouth to answer me when we heard a bunch of yelling. Caterina and I both turned to the noise to see the gate being under attack. I sighed and ran over to the gate to protect it. I pulled out my sword and started to defend the citadel. A few minutes later when we were all covered in blood. Caterina started to yell swear words in Italian and then I saw Checco run off out of the gate. I looked towards Caterina. She didn’t have the Apple anymore. I turned my head quickly towards the gate and ran. I put my sword away and heard Niccolò and Caterina right behind me.

  I wasn’t looking at where I was going and ran into Ezio. I huffed at the impact. Caterina and Niccolò came out right after me. Ezio kept two hands on my arms and steadied me. He looked at Caterina and then to Niccolò who were covered in blood. I took a step back from Ezio to show I also had blood on my own clothes.