Chapter 26: First Civilization

Chapter 26:

“. . . There’s only about ten minutes until they get . . .”

“. . . need all of my equipment . . .”

“. . . ready to go before they do. . .”

  I blink and blink, and blink. My vision is quite a blur. When my vision finally becomes clear again, I only see the ceiling. Not like I was expecting a unicorn or some shit to show up either. I rub my eyes. They are sore from being in the Animus and tired from no sleep. I turn so that I’m sitting on the edge of the Animus. I look over to Desmond and he is still recovering.

“DESMOND! VEGA!”

  I groan as my answer but Desmond reasons with two yeah’s. I get up slowly and then start walking around slowly. I’m recovering a bit later than last time. Maybe, it’s because I was in longer. I walk over to Lucy’s side as she goes off giving orders.

“Alright, Shaun, I need you and Rebecca to get everything in here packed up and loaded into the truck.”

  Shaun and Rebecca scurry off at Lucy’s request. Lucy turns to Desmond and I.

“You two and I’ll deal with the Templars.”

“What, they’re here?” Desmond asked

  I shook my head and that cleared my mind. I was thinking straight again. I look around the room and my eyes stop at the bed. I have to get the journal. I started to walk over to the bed and then run. Lucy went to go get something for Desmond so I had time to get my journal. I walked behind Shaun as he was talking.

“It was only a matter of time before they discovered us. To be honest, I’m surprised it took them as long as it did.”

  I grabbed my journal and jumped over the railing. I landed on the floor without making a sound. My eyes widened at what I could do. I guess I must be developing the skills my ancestors had. I rolled up the journal and put it in my jacket pocket. I walked back over to Desmond as Lucy walked over to him too. Perfect timing.

“Let’s go.”

  Lucy threw something at Desmond and when he caught it, I had a quick look. Ezio’s vambrace or a copy of it. Desmond put on the vambrace as I turned to look at Rebecca and Shaun. They were putting everything away pretty quickly. I turned back to look at Desmond and Lucy. They were already a head of me. Shit! I ran down the hall and then turned to go down the same way we came in. I was glad they stopped.

“So, what’s the plan? We ditch this place and then what?” Desmond asked

“There’s another safe house. It’s -”

  The lights flickered. They kept flickering but I knew that they wouldn’t be coming back on.

“We’ve got company.” Lucy stated

  Lucy and I started to run down the slant. I noticed Desmond wasn’t behind me or beside me. I turned back around and saw him starting to run down towards me. I turned around and kept running.

“The truck’s just up ahead.” Lucy said

  Desmond and I ran down the rest of the way and got down to the floor. We walked over to Lucy and started to make our way to the truck, but something stopped us.

“Mister Miles! This is an unexpectedly pleasant turn of events! And here I thought I’d have to waste more men on you! Kind of you to save me the trouble.”

  I looked over to Desmond as he replied.

“What do you want, Vidic?”

  I looked to the man in the white lab coat. The infamous Vidic! I guess I would have met him sooner or later.