Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Down.

Down.

Down.

            I continued to fall. It seemed never ending. My head spinning with the images of Amy’s body slumped on the floor. Broken. The images of the dead, grey, haunting eyes and that sinister smirk that matched the evil glint in those inhumane eyes, all a never ending swirl filling my head with horror. It felt like I couldn’t breathe. Like all of the images inside my head somehow managed to make their way into my lungs and block the air coming in.

My chest began to tighten and my eyes water from the lack of air and a steady beeping began to fill my head as my vision began to blur. My head began to pound as if someone was using it as a drum.

            Just as I was about to give in to the blackness consuming me, light began to shine from the corners of my vision so I began to reach for it. It felt as if I was under water and rushing to break free from the suffocating waves so that I could replenish my air supply. The closer I got to the surface, the less muffled my hearing became and I started to hear a low, authoritative voice talking.

            “Are you her father?” he asked, “Well she has had a severe trauma to the head and will need to be kept n for observations. Her x-rays don’t show any fractures to her skull which is promising but we will know the full extent of the damage when she wakes up.”

            “Thank you doctor” I heard my father whisper.

I tried to reach my hand out towards where my father’s voice had come from but something was pushing me down. I grunted from the effort of trying to reach and gasps filled the room I was in. I could hear the rustle of clothing as everyone turned and I felt a warm hand against my wrist checking for my pulse.

            “Chrissie? Can you hear me? I’m Doctor Campbell. Can you open your eyes for me Chrissie?”

Straining to open my eyes, I began to feel light headed but I needed to escape from the suffocating blackness.

            After what seemed like hours I finally managed to force my eyes open. Doing so brought me face to face with my father whose face was stained with tears.

            “Dad” I tried to say, but my throat was too dry to make a noise.

            “Shh don’t talk if it hurts Chrissie. It’s okay!

I shook my head and signalled for some water.

            After downing two glasses of water, whilst being watched like a hawk by my father Dr Campbell and Jess, I was able to speak again.

            “How are you feeling Chrissie?” Dr Campbell asked.

            “Fine I guess. My head hurts though” I winced as my head began to pound.

            “Good. I shall see to it that you have some morphine to relieve the pain” he replied, writing down notes on his clipboard. “Now I need to talk to you about your condition.”

I gave him a worried look and my dad started to demand answers from him.

“What do you mean about her condition? What’s wrong with her?”

“Mr Williams please calm down. I think it would be best if I talk to Chrissie alone” he said pointedly.

“I’ll go get some drinks then. Does anyone else want one?” Jess asked, subtly making an excuse to give me some privacy with the doctor. Without waiting for a reply she slipped out the door.