Chapter 10

Chapter 10

There were bright lights shining all around me but as I tried to open my eyes, pain took over my senses and produced an invisible weight on my body, making it impossible to move. I felt a pressure on my hand but it was light as a feather. Unable to move, all I could do was groan and so that is exactly what I did.

"Chrissie!" I heard my Dad yell frantically. He began to shake me and managed to shake off the weight on my chest, allowing me to sit up and open my eyes.

As my eyes opened, I found myself in a room with white walls. Not knowing where I was, I looked around to see if there was anything in the room that would give me a clue as to where I was.

The room had a desk in the far corner with a flat screen computer on it. On the opposite wall the was a 40" flat screen tv. I was laying on a sofa bed behing the door and my Dad was sat on a blue desk chair, which he had obviously pulled across the room. It looked like I was in a study of some sort but I didn't understan why.

"Where am I Dad?" I groaned as my head began to pound again.

"Oh Chrissie. I was so worried! I found you in the bathroom this morning unconcious and began to panic, so I bought you into my study and laid you on the sofa bed because it was the closest room. Do you remember why you collapsed?" He asked me.

"No, sorry" I replied. "I don't remember anything after going to bed."

"Maybe we should take you to the hospital then, to get you checked out" My Dad said looking really concerned.

"No. I'm fine Dad. Really. I just need some rest"

"Ok, well get some rest and I will check on you in a bit"

I nodded and settled down to try and ease the headache which had now taken over my head.

I was unable to fall asleep so I just lay on the bed and revised for my upcoming exams.

My Dad came in to check on me a few hours later. By then I was feeling much better so I decided it was time to get up and I was beginning to feel hungry.

"Do you want me to make some lunch Dad?" I asked.

"Yeah that would be great! Thanks hunni."

I went and made us both a sandwich and went to my room to revise. Jess had gone home earlier so that she could revise as well. It was the start of a very boring routine.

I went back to school the week after I collapsed and the lead up to my exams began. Each day was the same; get up and dressed, have breakfast, head off to school, spend the day revising in every lesson, get home, revise some more, cook dinner and go to bed. I spent two weeks doing this without seeing Jess outside of school and I was beginning to get tired of the same routine over and over again so I decided to call her to see if she wanted to go out to dinner at the new restaurant that had just opened down the road. Jess agreed and said she would come and pick me up in 2 hours.

After putting the phone down, I went to shower before getting ready for the meal.

Going into school took a lot of effort and even when I was at school I stayed as far away from people as I could. Even more so then I did before. Whenever someone would get close to me I would cringe away or let out a small scream. No one really noticed me anyway so it wasn't too much hassle and as the weeks passed I got better with my reactions when I was around people.

Earlier that day I even had a conversation, albeit a very short one, with my lab partner Martin, who for the past 3 weeks I had ignored. That is why I thought it would be nice to go out because I wasn't as terrified as I was after my birthday and, because everyone either ignored me like usually or only said a brief hello, I was beginning to feel a lot more comfortable in public. My birthday was soon becoming just a memory.