Something Only I Know - Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

Me and mum sat on the sofa opposite the one we had placed dad on. Glancing at Mum, I could see that her expression mirrored my worried on.

"Is he going to be OK? Maybe we should ring the doctor. Or take him to ....."

"Mum" I said sternly, cutting her off. "Dad will be fine! He was just shocked. Very shocked." She gave me a warm smile and her eyes filled with gratitude? This confused me a bit but I just shrugged it off. My mind wandered back to when Dad found the note about her leaving. He broke down completely. I had never seen him cry before, he was always the strong one and I was at a loss of what to do. I acted surprised when I read the note, and got teary too, but it was just an act. I didn't really care after what had happened. After what I saw. Luckily I was convincing enough. I had had many years of practice making people think I was fine and didn't care about the bullying. The act was so real I began to believe I didn't care too and soon after I didn't, which I was kind of thankful for.

"Chrissie?" my Mum asked. I shook my head slightly, clearing it of the memory.

"Yeah?" I replied as she gave me a questioning look. I just smiled warmly, making her smile in return.

"I just wanted to say thank you" she said as she blew out a large breath which it appeared she had been holding. I was slightly confused as to why she held her breath but I ignored it.

"What for?" I queried, genuinely intrigued.

"For forgiving me and giving me another chance."

"Mum, I told you I hadn't forgiven you completely yet. I don't know if I can trust you but I'm going to try and you will have to prove to me that I can truly trust you."

"Of course, I'll do anything you want" she said eagerly.

A small groan came from the sofa opposite us and we both jumped up.

"Dad? Are you Ok?" Another groan escaped his lips as his eyes fluttered open. I signalled for Mum to stay back as I reached for Dad's arm. He jumped a little and turned his head. Blinking his eyes to wake himself fully, he looked at me with a dazed expression.

"Oh, its you Chrissie" my Dad said.

"Of course its me. Who else would it be?" I laughed.

"You're right. Its just .... I had this really strange dream where your Mum came back. It felt so real!"

"Yeah Dad. About that" I shuffled and Mum stepped forward with a timid smile on her face.

"I'm so sorry Jerry. I didn't mean to shock you I just ...." My Mum was cut off as my Dad gasped.

"You mean it wasn't really a dream?" he asked cautiously. Me and my Mum both nodded our heads. My Dad put a shaky hand through his dark auburn hair and let a ragged breath.

"Why did you come back Annie? Are you just trying to mess my life up like you did when you left?" My Dad sighed as a tear escaped his eye.

"No Jerry! I swear I never meant to hurt you! Please just let me explain?" my Mum pleaded.

"Explain? What, explain how you just left me and Chrissie without any warning? Please be my guest I would love to hear your little love fantasy" he sarcastically replied.

"Dad, please! Just hear her out, then you can make your decision about what to do. Please do it for me?"

"Fine but I'm only doing this for you Chrissie!" I smiled my encouragement at him as my Mum started to relate the past few years of her life. As she explained the murder and the forced marriage, my Dad cringed back into the sofa with eyes as wide as saucers.