Chapter 5

I wake up before August so I quietly slide out of bed. Making my way back to the guest bathroom I brush my teeth and wash my face. This morning I'll make breakfast for us and we can just enjoy each other company.

I go downstairs and start looking around the kitchen for utensils. I mix the eggs, seasoning together while I let the bacon cook. I flip the bacon, once they are perfect I lift them up clean out the pan then begin on the eggs.

"Whatcha looking fa?" August ask startling me.

"I was looking for a waffle iron" I say.

He laughs,"I ain't got no waffle iron baby gon' head and make them pancakes".

I laugh " That works too... You're up right on time grab two plates" I say.

"What's al this for?" He ask.

"Just cause" I say smiling.

"Thank ya Indyah" He says then licks his lips.

"You're welcome it's the least I could after everything you've done" I reply while flipping the pancakes.

"I didn't want anything in return for what I did for you Indyah... To be honest I want to make you my girl one day, what type of boyfriend would I be if I asked you to repay me" He says smiling.

I giggle, "You want me to be your girl?" I ask.

"Of course baby! I ain't calling you my baby for nothing".

"Here's your food" I say handing him his plate.

We sit at the table then begin digging in. August starts tearing up the eggs and pancake. "The food ain't going no where baby" I say laughing.

"Man I ain't have a female cook me home cook meal in a while" he says.

"This is slight work this is just breakfast" I say.

"When you making dinner for me?" He ask.

"I don't know yet " I say.

"After this lets go shopping for you" He says.

I feel a little embarrassed. I know the clothes I have now aren't really up to date and the best but I wasn't focused on that. I made sure I had decent clothes to wear to school and work.

"I'm good I say.

"Nope it ain't no option now go get ready so we can go" He says sternly.

-------

"August I don't need all this clothes!" I say looking at all the bags in the back of his car.

"You my girl and you deserve all this baby it ain't nothing , when you with me baby you can have whatever you like" He says.

"August this isn't needed" I say trying to talk him out of it.

"Come on let's go get you some more shoes" He says.

Walking through the mall I kind of feel like a celebrity. August holds my hand causing me to smile. When I'm with him it's like this whole new feeling I can't even describe.

"You'd look good with these shades on baby girl get them" He says walking into Gucci.

I decided to stop arguing with him and just agree. If you can't beat them join them. Trying on the shades I then look in the mirror.

"Shit my baby shining" August says hyping me up.

I start doing these little poses an dancing around. August take a picture of me. "Let me see" I say.

"You look perfect as usual" He says.

We purchase the shades and few other things before actually leaving the mall. After shopping around literally in every damn store I can official say my feet are killing me.

August orders us some take our Chinese while I go shower and freshen up. I let my hair down and throw on some shorts and I cami.

"Mm is the food here?" I ask.

"Yeah baby lets eat" He says handing me my plate.

He order my favorite Shrimp fried rice and chicken wings. I guess he really does pay attention when I talk. "Thank you baby" I say.

"Oh shit you calling me baby now!" August shout out.

I laugh "Boy hush... Like you say you my lil baby".

" I can dig it" he says with a grin on his face.

"I need to tell you somethings before this goes any further" I say taking a deep breath.

"What's up baby?" He ask with a look of concern.

"The reason I don't trust people men specifically , when my sister and I had trouble I almost got raped while sleeping on the street... I had to pretend to sell my body just so I could get money for food.. The dude was old enough to be my dad he didn't just offer to give us the money he said he wanted to fuck me in return" I say holding back my tears.

"Baby.." He says putting his hand on my thigh.

"I got away thankfully before that happen.. I've been hurt so many times it's like my heart is made of fucking ice now that why I act so cold sometimes" I say.

"You don't have nothing to worry about with me Indyah, I promise I will always protect you, make sure you and your sister good" He says.

I smile, "Thank you August".

"Tomorrow I'm going to take you to get pampered" He says.

"August you've done enough stop wasting money like that" I say.

"It isn't wasting if I'm spending it for a good cause, oh and I heard ya prom coming up what you say about me taking you?" August ask.

I'm shocked he ask me to prom. "You want to go to my prom.. Really?" I ask.

"Yeah I'd rather be your date then some little punk I might have to beat up for touching you wrong" He says.

"Of course I'll go to prom with you" I say with a huge smile on on my face.

"Cool what color we wearing?" He ask.

"Huh... I don't know what do you think?" I ask.

"Gold... It'll look good on you" He says.

"I like that idea... Gold it is" I say.

"Tell me something about you that haunts you till this day" I say to August.

"I remember my first time killing somebody... I was 14 and I had to kill someone to be down with my crew... They had me kill this nigga that was part of another they couldn't stand ole dude... They took me to the spot the guy always at... I took a few breaths in silently praying God saved this person from the bullet I was about to shoot".

August gets silent for a second. I can tell he's just thinking about all the shit he done did.

"And then pow! I let off the first shot got him straight in the head.. I ain't never held no gun before I was shocked as fuck I dropped it... That shit is like nothing to me now I kill niggas in my sleep" He says sounding almost not human.

"August you ever thought about leaving this life?" I ask.

"Yeah but it ain't easy like that" He says.

"Let's drop this for now" I say laying my head on his chest. He starts running his hand through my hair.

"You ain't sleepy yet?" He ask.

"No I'm just enjoying this moment with you" I say.

"We can stay here" He says.

"Okay" I say closing my eyes.